Why does my nose get stuffed up in elevators?

1. girlgamers profile image60
    girlgamersposted 3 years ago

Why does my nose get stuffed up in elevators?

I work on the 18th floor of an office building, and am going up to 20 as well as down to ground level for my job.  However, shortly after going up or down, my sinuses get congested, my ears try to pop, and I get a bit dizzy and light-headed.  Any advice?  I've been dealing with sinus issues for a few months now, and once my insurance kicks in, I plan on getting it checked out by a Dr, but in the mean time, i'm self medicating on Sudafed and ClearQuil...

2. pippap profile image87
    pippapposted 3 years ago

Some people are extremely sensitive to changes in elevation (even small changes).  I suspect your sinuses are to blame for this problem.  I would stop using Sudafed, etc. and start using non-medicinal measures such as chewing gum before getting in the elevator.  Chewing gum, extreme yawning and other measures can relieve the pressure that causes your sinus congestion.  You might also want to start irrigating your sinuses with a mild saline solution...think neti pot.  Irrigating your sinuses removes any debris, excess secretions, etc. that may be interfering with normal sinus function.

Good luck.

3. timorous profile image84
    timorousposted 3 years ago

It's not so much the elevation, but the change in air pressure as the elevator ascends and descends. If your sinuses are blocked, you're going to feel the change in pressure more than you would if they were not.

A neti pot, available at health food stores, is cheap and inexpensive, and so is fine sea salt. It works really well if you use it before you get too plugged up, although it's pretty yucky. But at least it's completely safe, and you can use it as frequently as you need, unlike the pharamaceutical products that create a dependency after not too long. Avoid those.

You might also consider the cause of the blocked sinuses. Probably an allergy to dust or other pollutants you encounter regularly, or household cleaners and such.

working