jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Why do we make excuses for fat people?

1. kuttingxedge profile image79
    kuttingxedgeposted 3 years ago

Why do we make excuses for fat people?

More and more the evidence proves that fat people are unhealthy people, and unhealthy people require more healthcare, healthcare which is TYPICALLY, though not always, footed by the taxpayers. So why is it becoming more and more 'okay' to be fat?

Is it because the majority of Americans are obese now, and the majority make the most noise?

2. Christy Maria profile image84
    Christy Mariaposted 3 years ago

I do not think excuses are made for "fat" people. Obesity in America is a serious issue yes, but the people themselves can not always be to blame for this issue. Many people who are considered obese are born with a metabolism that does not allow them to be what society claims to be "skinny and normal." How can the country possibly judge people who are born with these metabolisms, where they can only do so much to try and help themselves? Others out there, yes, are obese because they simply do not take care of themselves, but this is not always the case. The country can not dignify between who is "deserving obese" and "undeserving obese," because this only creates a gap similar to rich and poor people where others are deemed "lower quality of fat." I also do not think society looks at being fat as okay. People know obesity is an issue and over the years that has been a lot done to raise awareness of the issue and to try and attempt to get people to live a healthier life. But no, I do not think excuses are made for these people, and I don't think it is fair to be calling people out for being obese because as I stated before, it is not always the persons fault.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"Deserving obese" and "undeserving obese," - Brilliant observation!

2. kuttingxedge profile image79
      kuttingxedgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You make an excellent point. I do not believe in calling anyone out, for the record. While there are many people suffering from uncontrollable diet/ weight gain conditions, they do not make up the majority of obese Americans. The majority are lazy.

3. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

if the fat people are not even bother of their obesity , weight, then the governement can't do much to help them. So, the fat people are still fat no matter what health program are initiated.

1. kuttingxedge profile image79

This is true. If they don't take the help offered, then what good does it do. The current trend is to shame the super-fit models in popular magazines, because so many people don't fit that mold. One shaming is okay but not the other??

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It's not a matter of whether or not it's "okay" to be fat. It's about not discriminating against someone because of their weight..
    Life is a personal journey. It's no one's job to "shame" others.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93

Yes - Wounded Warriers, the aged, & accident/birth defect victims -- I've had 100s of patients w/ crushed vertebrae, shoulders,  legs - knee replacements failed, can't exercise, diets won't work.  Shame & wish them dead? Some gave their healt

2. kuttingxedge profile image79

I agree with this answer. I do not advocate shaming indiscriminately- that being said, 'shaming' plays a huge role in maintaining a nation moral character, like it or not. An individual's pursuit of pleasure shouldn't cost the nation.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93

Shaming is one of the main hallmarks of abuse.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 3 years ago

Why are some so worried about others looks and lifestyles.  Not all "fat" people are unhealthy or unhappy or have any health issues.  I remember in the 1950's a girl named Ziggy was put on display by those who did not like skinny people, much as the same way now they are concerned about the "fat" people. 
    It also depends on ones culture or color if you will.  Many cultures like softer "shapes" of the body.
    Put it this way with the health system...if there were people who looked perfect then there would be no cause for insurance, pharmaceuticals and physicians all over the world lining their pockets with funds that are pilfered by those who "think" everyone should look alike and spread prejudice and lies to hold others too in their opinions.
    Love One Another as Yourself...shows a whole lot right there about how you and those like you love yourselves.....

working