jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How were you successful at quitting smoking?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years ago

How were you successful at quitting smoking?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8172114_f260.jpg

2. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

my dad had been successful . He quit after he was diagonized with high blood pressure. He said by hook or by crook he must quit for he wants to live up to 100!

3. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 2 years ago

I smoked heavily for 52 years and quit two years ago. I stopped by taking the following steps:

1. I stopped smoking tobacco cigarettes, switched to e-cigs and puffed on them for about three months.

2. After three months of "vaping" I stopped using the e-cigs.

3. Voila, no longer did I have a "cigarette jones."

4. hypnodoctor profile image90
    hypnodoctorposted 2 years ago

A few of my friends quit after one of them asked me what was the probability of getting lung cancer during your lifetime if you smoke.

Unfortunately the answer is:
    - about 7% if you smoke up to 6 cigarettes a day
    - 27% if you smoke more than that

Surprised it's so high? They were too. I thought everybody knew these statistics. Turns out that most smokers think it's more like 0.7%.

Nope, it's 7% and 27% for smoking up to six cigarettes or smoking more, respectively.

Funny how biology works, huh?

Now consider this: if you were playing the roulette table and you had one chip that represented your life. You have to put it on one of the thirds (let's say either 1st, 2nd or 3rd column). Then the roulette spinns and if the ball falls on one of the two other thirds, you can smoke all you want and you won't get cancer.

But ... If the ball falls on your third, you will die an agonizing premature death.

Would you dare to try it?

My friends put down the cigarettes and never smoked again. And they were heavy smokers of 10+ years. It's really easier than you hink. The first week or two are bad, then you forget you were ever a smoker.

1. feenix profile image61
      feenixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Doctor, thank you very much for posting your response. I know, because of what is going on with me personally, that long-term smoking leads to a myriad of grave illnesses and slow-and-painful death.

working