jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Has anyone ever taken a statin drug for high cholesterol?

1. quildon profile image80
    quildonposted 2 years ago

Has anyone ever taken a statin drug for high cholesterol?

My doctor has been trying for years to get me to take a statin to lower my LDL cholesterol, and I have resisted. I do not suffer from high blood pressure or hear disease. Now I'm seeing a new doctor and he also prescribed a statin. If anyone has ever used this drug, what was your experience? Did it lower your LDL, and if yes, how long did it take?

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

Friends who took it didn't do so well so I said no to it, my husband as well. We chose to use ground flax seed and I wrote about it but I understand it is against the rules to link one's own work here so you can check my profile for it if you want to.  Best to you in your effort to get healthy!

quildonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much!

3. mary615 profile image93
    mary615posted 2 years ago

My doctor suggested I take a statin, but after reading about those drugs, I decided to just change my diet.  I went on the DASH diet, and within six months, my LDL was normal.
    I always resist taking drugs of any kind, if possible.

I plan to change my diet too - more vegetables and fewer carbs, and exercise more. What is the DASH diet?

4. ShelleyHeath profile image81
    ShelleyHeathposted 2 years ago

Half of my family are on statins and I actually thought that they were a pretty generic prescription with few side effects, learn something new everyday!

I'm glad your family is doing well.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image98
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

My husband was on it for a while, and the side effects were not good.  In his case, it was loss of memory, similar to Alzheimer's disease; he'd start down the hall and forget why. 

I have a hub on the topic:
    http://dzymslizzy.hubpages.com/hub/Medi … of-Statins

Thanks for your comment. Will check out your blog.

working