jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is stress one of the contributing factors as to why fibroids are more prevalent

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Is stress one of the contributing factors as to why fibroids are more prevalent among Black women?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Not sure. I imagine most health problems can be blamed on stress to some extent. However it's how one handles stress that determines their well being.
    Very few issues are a matter of "life and death" and yet so many people internalize their present circumstances as if it's a life sentence. This is one of the reasons why so many therapists are advising people to find time to calm down and meditate a few minutes each day. If you can't do anything about a situation there's not much sense dwelling on it.
    ".... grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference." - Reinhold Niebuhr

3. Sulabha profile image86
    Sulabhaposted 2 years ago

I do not know your definition of black women, but if Indian women are included, I would say 'Yes', it could be.
    During social interaction I have come across 2-3 or more women in their 20's & 30's who were diagnosed with Fibroids. One of them was teaching in the university and the other, a Computer Science engineer, working in the sector. The former underwent medication for a short while and is okay. The latter underwent Homeopathy treatment (quite popular in India) and has a 5 year old son. She is now also expecting a second child.
    But, yes the young women are facing a lot of stress, balancing home & work.

4. Ana Kolomeka profile image76
    Ana Kolomekaposted 2 years ago

I doubt it.  I had fibroids at the ripe old age of 29, even though I've never been pregnant.  I've had a lot of stress in my life, but I doubt it was as bad as girls who got pregnant in high school, and went on to become welfare mothers.  Besides, the average age for women to get fibroids is 35.  My roommate in the hospital was a 36-year-old white woman who had 2 kids.
    I understand while fibroids are more prominent in black women, white women are more prone to endometriosis (which I personally find worse).  I had a white male roommate whose 19 year old daughter had endometriosis.  Childbirth is supposed to solve that problem; she married and immediately got pregnant, giving birth to twins.  On the other hand, I had a middle-aged co-worker, a white woman, who'd had 3 kids, and the endometriosis kept returning.  She finally solved the problem by getting a hysterectomy.
    "And what do Asian women get?" asked a Chinese co-worker, with whom I discussed the issue.  "Nothing!  They just screw up the curve on math scores!" I answered jokingly.  Then she informed me they're more prone to cancer.  Her mother had been deceived by her doctor into losing a baby by getting treatment for cancer.
    There are no perfect races; everyone is prone to something.

5. Alphadogg16 profile image92
    Alphadogg16posted 2 years ago

Stress may be a contributing factor, however race really has nothing to do with it. At least 25% of all women will be affected by Fibroids at some point during their lifetime. Overweight and Obese women are even more susceptible and have a substantially higher risk of developing Fibroids.