jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Is it possible to do ballet without a ballet body?

1. Kenna McHugh profile image87
    Kenna McHughposted 2 years ago

Is it possible to do ballet without a ballet body?

2. profile image56
    Flymetothemoonposted 2 years ago

YES! I have been dancing since the age of 3 (Ballet, tap, and pointe). If you were to walk into a class you'd see that there aren't two people with the same body type. Sizes, builds, and heights range drastically. Ballet is a great source of exercise and a fun creative outlet. Over time maybe your body will change with lots of practice but it also might not. Not all dancers are what you see in photos. The stereotype is that all ballerinas are tall with long legs or anorexic, and it's not true at all! If your curious with ballet go for it! A dancer with a "ballet body" who puts in no effort is nothing compare to the dancer that doesn't have that ballet body and puts forth their best effort and practices with determination. Best of luck!

1. Kenna McHugh profile image87
      Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great reply, thank you. My daughter is struggling right now. She's been in ballet since she was 4. At 14, she is having issues not fitting in with the "ballet body" girls.  I hope she continues with determination. She taps, jazz and does theater.

3. Motherbynature profile image78
    Motherbynatureposted 2 years ago

Heck yeah!  Misty Copeland is an American ballerina with American Ballet Theater.  She is considered a prodigy in ballet.  They told her she had the  "wrong body for ballet" at 5'2" tall, 112 lbs, and DD breast cup. She proved them wrong.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 … azing.html

working