How do you relate to a person who displays patterns of codependent behavior?

1. Purpose Embraced profile image97
    Purpose Embracedposted 2 years ago

How do you relate to a person who displays patterns of codependent behavior?

People who are codependent exhibit patterns of emotional dependence that include weak personal boundaries, fear of abandonment, and care-taking behaviors. How do you handle a codependent's compelling need to control?

2. lambservant profile image92
    lambservantposted 2 years ago

That's a really tough question. The first thing that popped into my mind was set firm boundaries. I spent most of my life in co-dependent relationships, and I have come a long way. The best thing for me was having boundaries set for me, that I set for myself (when recognizing my problem), and setting boundaries for others. This is very hard, but it is very possible to overcome.

If you are being exposed to someone with codependent behavior, boundaries are the main thing in my opinion. If you can let that person know you love them as you set boundaries, then that's even better. Most difficult can be to enforce the boundaries when they start to overstep. Depending on the person, and the situation, you may have to do a tough love. It's hard to break co-dependent behavior when it's been a lifelong way of living. If they are teachable, and willing to see their problem, success will come. Boundaries are loving because you don't enable them anymore to continue their behavior. That's good for them, good for you, and good for the relationship.

1. Purpose Embraced profile image97
      Purpose Embracedposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response and sharing some of your own experiences, Lori. I agree, setting appropriate boundaries is a critical step to take in relating with people who display codependent behaviors (though this could be challenging).

working