How do you deal with the Drama Queen in your family?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

How do you deal with the Drama Queen in your family?

In many families there is a Drama Queen....someone who is melodramatic, over-the-top, and 'all about me.' We have one in our family. Do you have one? If so how do you manage your relationship with this family member?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6691749_f260.jpg

2. Anjili profile image67
    Anjiliposted 11 years ago

We have one who is very pompous. Just let her strut along. Her confidence helps in uplifting other siblings who might feel a bit inadequate. This adds to their self esteem. Be quick to comfort her with sweet kind words when she trips or breaks her long nails. Let her feel she is worth something coz they easily get disappointed when sneered upon. Remind her gently not to be too proud lest she out does peacocks at their game.

1. ibbarkingmad profile image59
      ibbarkingmadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Don't sneer. That is negative, but encourage positive behavior by encouraging positive communication. Ignore the drama & offer incentives for communication rather than drama. Life is a lesson & we all can learn a little more.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

We are pretty lucky in that we do not have a drama queen unless you count the smallest grandchild who is 4 and at times acts like she is 4 - so it can be forgiven.  If I had an adult drama queen in the family, I would have to limit time with that person as I could not take it.

1. Anjili profile image67
      Anjiliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi. Our DQ happens to be my 18 year old daughter. We can't avoid her. lol

4. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Fortunately, not in my family.

As for how to handle such situation, I always believe it is best to ignore. Drama Queens requires attention. So, if you just ignore and do not react, soon enough it will be over.

But if you participate, then there will be never ending drama that will carry on and on ...

I have come across this situation with friends so that is what I told them to do. They are glad that I had given them this info and stop the drama.

You are right. They soon grow out of it as life catches up.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Assuming the "drama queen" isn't an adolescent or young teen, drama queens aren't always what people think they are.

We don't have one, but I know families where one person, who expresses dissatisfaction with the way s/he is/has been made to feel, will be called a "drama queen" or "drama king".   From what I've seen, it's often older siblings who call younger ones "drama queens".  Then, too, though, sometimes it's not the younger siblings in families who aren't taken very seriously.  Sometimes parents (or the family) will expect more from an elder sibling than is fair.  Either way, drama queens are often trying to get someone to listen to their complaints, or at least take their challenges/dissatisfactions seriously; rather than being called "a drama queen".

Look at the remark below about how drama queens sometimes "uplifts" the confidence of other siblings.  In other words, there can be ego/emotional incentive for others in the family to want to continue to believe that the "drama queen" is, in fact, "nothing but a drama queen".  If someone had to pay attention, and face the realilty, that sometimes some "drama queens" actually have legitimate complaints about the way they're made to feel, other may have to re-think their views and come face-to-face with having been wrong about the "drama queen".  How to deal with a "drama queen"?  Try respecting what they have to say (and they may not have to say it so dramatically and so often after that).  Listen to their complaints/issue.  Consider that there's the possibility what they're saying is accurate and really does call for changes in how the DQ is treated.  Even if a person's problem is relatively minor, it is extremely frustrating and infuriating to have others refuse to a) acknowledge that it's a problem, and b) blame the person who has been made to feel frustrated by those around her/him for the frustration they've caused by refusing to take his complaints seriously, and respect that he actually may have a legitimate point-of-view/complaint.

Thanks for the support.

2. ibbarkingmad profile image59

There are people who do what they do to get attention. Listening is great, but when they have found that a little drama get their way, sometimes the only way to resolve the issue is to let them know that behavior is not acceptable for communication.

6. ibbarkingmad profile image59
    ibbarkingmadposted 11 years ago

Ignore them. When you ignore them you don't give them the drama they need to thrive. By ignore I mean ignore the drama. Don't ignore them specifically because that is just another type of drama. Be nice, be sweet, be a good sibling etc. But when they act out just ignore it. When the entire family has agreed to do this it works the best. Don't talk about the bad behavior when the drama queen is gone either. The best part about this strategy is that this is based off of a proven behavioral modification principle called extinction. Special education teacher, psychologists and doctors use this principle to change bad behavior.
    If you want it to be very effect combine the extinction process with positive re-enforcement by rewarding the drama queen when he or she is not being a drama queen. This will make the change go must faster. Figure out what the drama queen's motivation (also know as love language) is and provide a reward that is in the area of that person's interest.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would respectfully argue that too many family members imagine themselves to be "superior" to others (and imagine what doctors, teachers, etc would do); when if they respected the other person and listened, they might reduce the frustrated behavior.

2. ibbarkingmad profile image59

I do not refer to the important aspect of listening in a relationship. The very question indicates the Drama Queen makes trouble for its own sake. This isn't a matter of superiority but of getting rid of a behavior that is negative.

3. fishcakes profile image60
      fishcakesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ibbarkingmad isn't saying this to be superior. This is about fixing a problem behavior. You don't let a child throw tantrums to get what they want. You gently teach them how to ask. This is the same thing but for older "children".

4. ibbarkingmad profile image59

Exactly! This is about resolving a behavioral issue. They aren't lab animals. They just learned a bad habit & behavior modification is the means by which to fix that. Not all classifications of "drama llamas" are accurate, but a lot are.

7. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

I have known a few. My solution is simple: limit my exposure to them through creative avoidance. :0)

8. Super Lux profile image60
    Super Luxposted 11 years ago

also with drama. haha. that's where and how you can reach them or say penetrate their worlds.  they'll understand you more instead of resisting you.

9. Sue St. Clair profile image69
    Sue St. Clairposted 11 years ago

I have found setting boundaries helps. I set the boundaries and when I am consistent with them, the drama is contained. Ignoring them often leads to them becoming more dramatic. When I validate them, yet do not feed into their drama, things go better.

We also do not use the term 'drama queen', but rather 'drama llama'. It takes away the royalty aspect and the humor of a llama helps cut the tensions.

1. ibbarkingmad profile image59

Boundaries is important. Just don't let the boundaries be fuel for drama. Like you said, validate but don't feed the drama.

10. fishcakes profile image60
    fishcakesposted 11 years ago

Ignore the stupid behavior. Responding is like throwing gas in a fire. Be supportive of positive communication but don't give negative communication the time of day. Drama can only happen when others invest their drama into it. Let the drama person do a one act play, not a soap opera. Anything more would get you sucked into a back hole of contention.

11. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

Oh, help! I have one in my family and it's just awful. She goes on and on for hours sometimes, is now in her 70's and just gets worse. Her drama is through her phone calls.  Sometimes I put the phone down, walk away, come back and she's still going on without realizing I haven't been listening. :-)

Because we've been so close most of our lives, I don't want to simply ignore her, but she drives me bonkers.  I am careful not to give her "amunition" or her calls would last for days.

So I handle this with "selective hearing" and put her on speaker phone, put the phone down and start a new hub!

12. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

How funny!!! Bless your heart. Like I said there is one in our family and e v e r y t h i n g is about her...o, my. so when I go to visit, I know that, so just know that I will not need to have much to offer in the way of conversation as she will have that covered. I love her and accept this little quirk about her..

13. ASchwartz profile image66
    ASchwartzposted 11 years ago

I feel so blessed NOT to have a drama queen in my family. I have had to work with someone that fit the description of drama queen perfectly though, and it's no picnic.

The only advice I can offer is to just ignore them. Don't get sucked into the drama. Rise above it and carry on like a mature adult.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)