jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you consider having an unassisted birth?

1. Daniella Lopez profile image93
    Daniella Lopezposted 2 years ago

Would you consider having an unassisted birth?

For some women, an unassisted birth is unplanned, because they baby arrives to fast or for other reasons. However, some women choose to birth alone and do so willingly. Would you be willing to give birth without a midwife or doctor present?

2. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

Nope. For various reasons.

1 - My first baby was breech, so I had a caesarean section ('untested' pelvis etc). VBAC (vaginal birth after caesar) can be dangerous, and is recommended to be 'attempted' in hospital (where if all turns to custard, one can have another section!).

2 - It's not just my life in my hands at the birth of a child - it's that small, perfect, innocent being - it would be selfish of me to risk that wee being because I want to birth alone. But only me personally. Also....I would prefer to be close to help if something went wrong - so assisted helps me feel safer!

3 - I'm a Health Professional....medicalised procedures feel comfortable to me, so they don't bother me. My birth plan with my first was simple - "What ever needs to happen to keep us both safe, can (and should) happen" - which is why I have no issues with having had a c section as some women who don't even consider them as an option but have to have one do. I think my profession helped me more comfortable.

That being said - if someone has looked into the risks and benefits of birthing unassisted before deciding to do that and has decided that it is best for them and their child - then I'm okay with their choices - they may not be mine, but I have no right to tell others what their choices should be.

3. Lady_E profile image75
    Lady_Eposted 2 years ago

Definitely not a good idea. I haven't got kids yet, so that also explains it. I could be brave and give it a try as long as the Midwife is just outsdie the door. :-)

4. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Nope, not a chance. I had a perfectly healthy, straightforward pregnancy but while giving birth my daughter's shoulders got stuck and tore an artery.  I lost a huge amount of blood in a very short time. I basically had my placenta ripped out of me in a panic and was stitched up immediately. I very narrowly escaped blood transfusions (and was put on an IV immediately). Had all of that been delayed by even the 20 minutes it would have taken me to be rushed to the hospital, I don't think I would have fared so well. You unfortunately just never know how it's going to go.