jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Converting contact prescription to eye glass prescription?

1. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 23 months ago

Converting contact prescription to eye glass prescription?

Google not much help. Hubby has bad eye site -7 in contacts. He is stubborn and doesn't take them out as much as he should because he can't see without them, and since -7 is still functional for him he refuses to go to the eye doctor to get a new glasses prescription. He no longer has glasses, just contacts. I would like to order him some glasses online, but he does not have a prescription to go by. All I have is his contact prescription #. Is there a way of accurately converting his contact prescription to a glasses prescription so I can order him some glasses?

2. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 23 months ago

I would suggest seeing an eye doctor for a formal eye glasses prescription, especially if his vision has changed for a while or the contacts aren't really enough.

1. Annsalo profile image85
      Annsaloposted 23 months agoin reply to this

He's stubborn and won't go because the contact prescription he has works. Thanks.

3. Sandi Kroeger profile image80
    Sandi Kroegerposted 22 months ago

Most eyeglass companies now will not make new eyeglasses without a current eye exam (less than 1 year old) and prescription. It may be only that insurance won't cover the cost without the current prescription and so the eyeglass manufacturers won't order them without it but I think you may have a hard time finding a good pair of eyeglasses without a current EXAM and prescription. Anything else ordered off the internet, I would be very cautious about purchasing.

As your husband ages, he will find out that his contacts do not work as well as they used to and will need a new exam to get a new contact prescription also. I wear both contacts and eyeglasses so I go through this "new" exam & prescription process annually.