jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you believe that drinking milk does a body good?

1. Brinafr3sh profile image80
    Brinafr3shposted 21 months ago

Do you believe that drinking milk does a body good?

Why or why not?

2. Snakesmum profile image81
    Snakesmumposted 21 months ago

Just saw a program on TV about women who cut
    dairy out of their lives. 
    Not a good idea, according to medical advice, unless
    you are replacing it with something equivalent such
    as almond milk with additives.

We need the calcium contained in calcium, especially
    as we get older, and that goes for men also.
    MIlk is also an antacid, and if you have problems with
    acid, drinking milk is probably a good idea.

Best reason for drinking milk? I happen to like it a lot! :-)

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 21 months ago

"Milk does a body good" is a marketing slogan, created to sell cow's milk. Nothing could be further from the truth, unless you're a calf.

We are the only species on the planet that drinks milk beyond infancy, and the only one that drinks milk produced by other species. We're not designed to drink milk as adults.

Drinking milk does not provide calcium to humans. Drinking cow's milk daily actually leaches calcium from the bones. In order to promote bone health, it's better to exercise, and eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Focus on leafy greens and beans, which help build strong bones.

1. Brinafr3sh profile image80
      Brinafr3shposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Lisa, I wish I knew about the truth of consuming milk when my children were smaller. Commercials on TV are a trusted source of marketing, and those slogans stick. We haven't drunk cow's milk since 2011, after my daughter seen a documentary at school.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 21 months ago

I drank milk all the time as a kid - I just turned 46 two weeks ago and I'm 6-foot-6, still have all my teeth, and never broken a single bone in my life.
    So there must be something to it "doing a body good."

5. veganfitspiration profile image94
    veganfitspirationposted 17 months ago

Simply said, no.  The dairy industry is gigantic in the United States.  They have tons of lobbyists in Washington DC that get their pockets filled with taxpayer cash giving empty claims of milk's nutrition and the desperate need of the school children, WIC programs,  and food banks.  Milk was designed to take a 60# calf and turn it into a 600# cow, no wonder obesity is increasing astronomically in America.  Ironically cows get calcium from eating GRASS, likewise, we can get calcium from plants. I recently wrote an article about the downsides of drinking milk, including increased cancer risk and heightened risk of fractures, check it out if you like.  It truly is a conspiracy that the dairy industry would like you to believe milk is important for good health.   https://caloriebee.com/nutrition/Is-Milk-Bad-For-Me