Antioxidants

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Resolver2009 profile image59
    Resolver2009posted 14 years ago

Just wondered how aware my fellow hubbers are regarding antioxidants and their health benefits? Do you take vitamins and eat both fruit and vegetables?

Personally, I try to include this in my way of living, as I have linked this to increased energy levels, mood enhancing and generally a feeling for well-being. Eat approx 4-5 servings of veggies and fruits on a daily basis and take multivitamin and omega (not an antioxidant, but good for mental capacity++) supplements.. just wondered how people in here think about this small, yet so hugely important step towards better health?

<snipped - do not post links to your Hubs in the Forums>

1. profile image0
      peacefulparadoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe in anti-oxidants.   They help eliminate "free-radicals" which causes cell damage (and therefore aging).   "Free-radicals" is not a slang term; it is a scientific term that refers to molecules that un-paired electrons that are highly reactive.   Anti-oxidants helps neutralize them. 

I eat fruits and vegetables.  In addition, I take anti-oxidant vitamins C and E and Alpha Lipoic Acid -- almost daily (sometimes I miss a day)     I sometimes take other supplements as well Ginkgo Biloba, Fish oil, Co-Q 10. 

Sounds like a lot.  But these doses from the bottles of the off-the-counter supplements are not that high (so it should not be any problems).

2. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

O yea.. definately. By checking all the labels of our foods and only picking those foods. You would be surprised the major benefits from those foods. Your looks would improve vitamin A, vitamin c immune, vitamin d for strong bones.. not to mention using the senior version vitamins.. with iron for blood.
      big_smile I highly recommend it big_smile, frienz4lif

3. mdaras profile image59
      mdarasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love my antioxidants.  Wouldn't go without them.
      Here's a link from my blog to an article on antioxidants:
      <snipped - do not post self-promotional links in the forums>

4. nikki1 profile image60

Way ta go smile

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

yes, i do, as well as taking most of the supplements mentioned. and lots of water...

3. TheGlassSpider profile image66
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Anti-oxidants are very important. I try to eat some anti-oxidant rich foods daily. Unfortunately, even if one can eat a lot of these foods, our foods are not as full of these kinds of healthy substances as they used to be (depletion of earth and all), so supplements are helpful.

I spent a lot of time on research about vitamins, minerals, and alternative health options in general. I was surprised to become convinced that these kinds of all natural options for healthy living are things that pharmaceutical companies, HMOs, and doctor's offices *really* don't want you to know about.

So, I take a very well balanced green multi-vitamin, a few supplements like flaxseed oil, Co-Q 10, Bee Compound (with royal jelly, propolis, and honey), and Glucosamine for joint maintenance.

At the same time, I got to learn a lot about essential oils and aromatherapy (all this research started as a result of my interest in massage for health). You might be amazed how powerful they are for purifying your environment, strengthening your immune system, killing viruses and bacteria, and enhancing your environment all at the same time. I highly recommend incorporating any of the above into a daily routine.

4. Resolver2009 profile image59
    Resolver2009posted 14 years ago

Thank you for your replies! Fascinating reads.. another antioxidant I try to implement as much as possible is catechins (the active extract in green tea), as the research I have (so far) has only pointed towards positive effects and health benefits both in terms of immunology, decreased cancer risk and increased system abilities. Have launched two chapters of my "The Antioxidant Series" if anybody is interested in reading through them. First one is a general antioxidant introduction, whereas the second chapter is about Free Radicals and the Free Radical Theory. I really find all of your input highly interesting, thanks.

5. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

Research theories about free radicals (unstable molecules) causing degenerative ailments like cancer and heart disease, for example,  have further led to investigations to clarify the relationships between free radical molecules and antioxidants like beta carotene.

The association send people to switching into vitamin-filled existence with easy to take capsules, tablets, etc., forgetting at times that they have rich sources of vitamins in their meat, fish, fruits, and vegetables. To ensure proper intake of the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, health experts do recommend certain food portion to follow. People must seek out these tips for their good health.

1. shareitt profile image60
      shareittposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cinnamon is the gold medalist of the spice rack, with one of the highest antioxidant levels of all herbs and spices.

6. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

blueberries, strawberries, lots of fruit and veg... its the only way really...  You wouldnt believe by my avatar that i am actually 90, would you?  Health benefits man! lol

7. jho808herbs profile image60
    jho808herbsposted 14 years ago

The presence of antioxidants in your body is one of the pillars of a good heart health. Vitamin C is a good anti oxidant. Vitamin C is regarded as the Mother of all Vitamins. L-glutathione is also an anti oxidant and it is also called the Master Antioxidant. You may check my hubs from time to time. Soon I will be giving more health related hubs. Sorry, I am very new in hubpages.

1. pinkboxer profile image61
      pinkboxerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great answer. Be encouraged. I am also a hubpage " newbie ". I look forward to your posts.

8. Dao Hoa profile image59
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

I believe in natural products like meat, nuts, fruits and vegetables. No pills, no suplements!

9. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 14 years ago

Yes, anti-oxidants are the real deal.  Especially Vitamin C, as you say.  Anything with Omega-3 (fresh salmon, olive oil, flaxseed oil) is also good for you.  Zinc is also good for your skin and your eyes and more.

You should get most of your nutrients from whole, natural foods and not rely on vitamins, using them as supplements only.

You might like to check out my hub about natural health, too.

10. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

cinnamon is a good antioxidant. i eat it on oatmeal. oh, so is oregano.

1. nikki1 profile image60

I love cinnamon. However Oregano I believe is rather strong.
      You may want to do some research on that. In my opinion..
      I associate antioxidants with vegetables and fruit. salads is a great source of antioxidants. Same as carrots.. never thought of seasonings being an antioxidant. I know basil is a great herb however I forget what its helps at the moment.

11. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

Hi friends.. got a question..
    Should there be a limit on how much antioxidants we eat daily? My opinion is no? What do you all think?

1. joecseko profile image63
      joecsekoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, your opinion is completely wrong! Most vitamins that have antioxidant properties are fat soluble. A, D,and E are fat soluble, therefore toxic in prolonged high doses. Vitamin A supplementation in children is the leading cause of death by supplements in children. Only water soluble vitamins B complex and C can be used in megadoses, because we don't have to capacity to store them for long periods of time.

Sorry to be so blunt, but there is absolutely no room for opinion where science reins supreme. Especially where said opinion can be found by search engines.

2. thisisoli profile image77
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's no, if you don't mind liver failure.

1. nikki1 profile image60

hmm

3. profile image49
      Nthiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well as vital as antioxidants are i still think evrything is good when taken in moderation

12. profile image54
    shivangi1posted 14 years ago

Fruits and vegetables are sources of many vitamins, minerals and other natural substances that may help protect you from chronic diseases. Some of these nutrients may also be found in other foods. Eating a balanced diet and making other lifestyle changes are key to maintaining your body's good health.
    Diets rich in dietary fiber have been shown to have a number of beneficial effects including decreased risk of coronary artery disease.
    Excellent vegetable sources:
    navy beans, kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, lima beans, white beans, soybeans, split peas, chick peas, black eyed peas, lentils, artichokes.
    Excellent vegetable sources:
    black eyed peas, cooked spinach, great northern beans, asparagus
    Diets rich in potassium may help to maintain a healthy blood pressure.Good fruit and vegetable sources:
    sweet potatoes, tomato paste, tomato puree, beet greens, white potatoes, white beans, lima beans, cooked greens, carrot juice, prune juice.
    Vitamin A keeps eyes and skin healthy and helps to protect against infections.Excellent fruit and vegetable sources:
    sweet potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, collard greens, winter squash, cantaloupe, red peppers, Chinese cabbage
    Vitamin C helps heal cuts and wounds and keep teeth and gums healthy.
    Excellent fruit and vegetable sources:
    red and green peppers, kiwi, strawberries, sweet potatoes, kale, cantaloupe, broccoli, pineapple, Brussels sprouts, oranges, mangoes, tomato juice, cauliflower

13. roxxxy42 profile image61
    roxxxy42posted 14 years ago

I have been taking vit c Vit E and garlic and many vitamins which have kept me from looking my age so far. Also am taking fish oil everyone knows keeps your joints working better. also in case anyone wants to know chromium and picolinate helps if you are debetic. But i like to get my vit d from the sun it feels soooo good down here in florida. rox

14. roxxxy42 profile image61
    roxxxy42posted 14 years ago

For those of us that have hot flashes you can take cinnamon capsules which help a lot. and organo will kill infections. I had a cold which some how went to my eyes. i took a dropper full twice a day for two days and the cold left. wow what a relief. i had never had a cold in my eyes before and could not wait until i got rid of it. Thanks to a nice friend who works in a health vit store.

15. gbgtopteam profile image40
    gbgtopteamposted 13 years ago

anti oxidants are wonderful!  we all should be taking them - cellular protection!  too many toxins in the air, water, etc.   our bodies need protection.

16. DebtFreedom profile image74
    DebtFreedomposted 13 years ago

I try to consume berries every few days, oranges and other citrus fruits or products to get my dose of vitamin C and I try to consume nuts to get my vitamin E. But, as I am also breastfeeding I take Materna prenatal and postnatal supplements. I think it is best to consume vitamins and antioxidants the natural way, but as most of us are not able to do this properly sometimes, I think it is best to take supplements anyway. It is rare and difficult to overdose on nutrients to the point of injury so I think supplements are not so bad.

17. wilson51288 profile image59
    wilson51288posted 12 years ago

All the post are very valuable,but apart from this one should also focus on way to include them in a diet. At this point, people should also know from where a person can get all essential minerals and vitamins and in necessary amount. Vegetables are good source of minerals, but it is also necessary that what minerals and vitamins do our body need. A health check up will help to know what does our body need and what we do not. Intake of minerals and vitamin should be well balance, so planning daily intake of food will help a lot. It is true that spinach is good source of  numerous vitamins but eating spinach daily is not right, human body need other various nutrients too. I would suggest to get counseling from health professional, since its about human body, lots of factors need to be taken care of, applying self concept can be fatal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)