Is 30 years of age the time when one is truly an adult?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 17 months ago

Is 30 years of age the time when one is truly an adult?

2. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

That does young adults a disservice. If we can send them out to die at 18 in the military, to say you're not an adult for another 12 years is wrong.
    It also denies agency to people who are marrying, having children, etc at that stage.
    I'll agree that you're still finding yourself and learning in your twenties, but acting like 30 is the new 20 infantilizes young adults when the world NEEDS them to grow up.
    Look at Social Justice Warriors screaming at a dean about saying don't freak out over Halloween costumes and use of the term "black hole" while ISIS has sex slaves, atheists are murdered by mobs in Pakistan and we have a whole host of economic and social problems to resolve.
    The only people who benefit from saying "you 28 year old, shut up and do what the adults say" are the older people who want them to stay out of the political process and vote for said elders because they are kept dependent on parents or, more likely, the state.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 17 months ago

Personally speaking I believe one is an adult when they have full responsibility for taking care of themselves. (You're in charge.)
    When I was 21 I had moved to California, 2000 miles away from family, had a full-time job, my own apartment, and was paying my own bills without any assistance. In my opinion that is adulthood.
    As Tamara pointed out if someone is 18 serving in the military they too would also be considered an adult. They're not relying on their parents to take care of them. Independence is the key!
    Having said that there are some 30+ year olds who never left the nest. They still rely on their parents financially & for advice constantly.