jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

What does it feel like to be really old knowing death is imminent?

1. Kenna McHugh profile image86
    Kenna McHughposted 16 months ago

What does it feel like to be really old knowing death is imminent?

2. gregas profile image83
    gregasposted 16 months ago

I don't know, I personally am not that old yet at almost 70. But I have been very close a couple of times and I was ready to accept it if it came. I am more afraid of living miserably than I am of dying. Just remember, life is short and you need to live it the best you can, while you can, and respect the lives of others.

Kenna McHughposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Yes. Live the best you can because in the end that's all you have.

3. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 16 months ago

The answer would completely depend on the individual's circumstances.  People are unique and so are their situations.

So true. No two people are alike.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 16 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13223235_f260.jpg

If I get to be (really old) I'll have to let you know! smile
    My guess is it all depends on how the person (lived) their life, possible regrets, and the impending circumstances of their death.
    It wouldn't surprise me if a "really old" person might be READY to go! This is especially true if you outlived your spouse and friends.

I guess it is a romantic idea that one could be ready for their death. So, Shakespeare.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Also people who might believe in God, heaven, and seeing deceased friends & loved ones or pets might have a more positive attitude towards death because they believe it's not "the end" but a "new beginning".

3. Kenna McHugh profile image86

I can see that, but still there are those who are left behind.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 16 months agoin reply to this

And yet those who are "left behind" also realize that's temporary. They too are going to die one day.
      No one gets to live (here) forever.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image86

True.

5. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 16 months ago

First I would ask you to clarify what you mean by 'really old'. Next, you don't have to be any kind of old to know that death is imminent. But, limiting my answer to the parameter you've set, paraphrased as 'only really old people know death is imminent' my answer is something I was told while volunteering with Hospice of the Comforter, most people confront dying the way they confronted living.
    I don't know how old you are but I'm 70 and by your standard much closer to death than you are. How do I feel about it? It'll be just another day in the life of Cecelia.

I say "really old" is relative. Particularly, when you get old. I see imminent death as a spiritual journey, but then again, I see life as a spiritual journey. My mother was in hospice for a short period, death was suddenly imminent.

6. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

My children had most of their great grandparents alive when my children were born, and we took time to visit.
    From personal observation, they looked at my children as their legacy and intentionally tried to impart wisdom that they wished they knew or wanted to share and readily shared stories in an effort to implant memories to have a form of immortality. Others took efforts to secure their legacy like contributing to charities with a memorial plaque, something that furthered their values and led to more people remembering them.

That's sweet.  My in-laws are very much connected to my daughter. It's really heartwarming to experience their connection.

2. tamarawilhite profile image92
      tamarawilhiteposted 16 months agoin reply to this

When death seems eminent, some fight for their lives, some invest in their immortality.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image86

The latter is the best way to go.

working