How can I get rid of mold and dust mites in my apartment help, need a quick/easy

1. Lynda Swift profile image60
    Lynda Swiftposted 17 months ago

How can I get rid of mold and dust mites
    in my apartment help, need a quick/easy solution please !

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 17 months ago

Dust mites:  vacuum all furniture like your mattress and couch thoroughly on a regular basis.  Use protective coverings on your bed.  Keep your home dry - mites thrive in warm, humid conditions.  Wash your bedding in HOT water and dry on the HOT setting.

Mould:  use sprays of water and vinegar or bleach or tea tree oil or baking soda or hydrogen peroxide.  Mix 2/3 water to 1/3 other.  Use generously on all mould on a regular basis until gone.

Hope this helps you!

3. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 17 months ago

If you have mold, the first job is to work out why, and fix the source, otherwise it will just keep coming back. 

Is there mold on a specific surface like a wall or the corner of a room - if so, could there be a water leak somewhere?   Alternatively, is there not enough airflow through the apartment?  Are you using a gas heater that's causing condensation? 

To get rid of the mold, spray it with tea tree oil (available from health food shops) in water.  1 teaspoon of tea tree to one cup of water.  The easiest way is to put it in a spray bottle, spray on, then scrub it off.  No need to rinse.  Caution - don't store the mixture in a plastic bottle long-term, as tea tree eats through plastic. 

Bleach will remove mold temporarily but it won't kill the spores so it will just keep coming back. 

Dust mites - you need a good vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.   Add some drops of eucalyptus oil when washing sheets etc.