jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Why do we wait until the calendar says January 1 to make big changes in our live

1. Stephanie Chavez profile image47
    Stephanie Chavezposted 15 months ago

Why do we wait until the calendar says January 1 to make big changes in our lives?

Each new day marks another chance to be better. What do you think is triggered within ourselves on this particular day even though realistically speaking it is no different than any other day on the calendar?

2. simplehappylife profile image86
    simplehappylifeposted 15 months ago

Because it's human nature to treasure symbolism.  A "New Year" represents a "New Start.".  Personally, I look at each day as a "New Start.".  Why wait an entire year to be a better you?

Right?  smile

Stephanie Chavezposted 15 months agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly! Thank you SA Williams! Happy New Year!

2. simplehappylife profile image86
      simplehappylifeposted 15 months agoin reply to this

You're Welcome smile

Happy New Year!

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 15 months ago

People don't actually want to change if they wait for the new year, most of the time anyway. People who want change take control of their lives, seize the moment, and do what needs to be done.
    Naturally though many procrastinate and need a symbol to actually do things.

I agree! Those who want to change don't wait for the new year, or a Monday, or their next birthday. Those who truly see something they want to correct do it right when they decide upon it. Carpe diem!

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 15 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13340257_f260.jpg

It's all psychological.
    Nevertheless people see it as having a clean slate. Without a doubt having big New Year's Eve celebrations also encourages the notion of endings and "new beginnings".
    They're also numerous media outlets with year end reviews.
    In all honesty we're capable of making a decision (today) to change our lives. Having said that when it comes to "giving up" something we enjoy it's human nature to "milk it" for as long as possible. Most people change because they (have to) not because they (want to). Change involves "work and sacrifice".
    On a side note I've even heard of people "playing the field" with the belief that they could do so all the way up until the night before their wedding day and suddenly stop. Not likely!
    The reality is if someone truly (loves something) it's rare that they can "flip a switch" and instantly change regardless of a date on a calendar. Almost everyone cheats on a "strict diet".
    Both good and bad habits are formed or established over time.

Whether it is your diet or your morality, you definitely have to WANT to change and it must be for genuine reasons. Anyone on a "strict diet" in life will falter if it isn't how they truly want to live.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
    bradmasterOCcalposted 15 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12760433_f260.jpg

Does it really matter considering that very few people last through the month of January before they fall off their resolutions.

I suppose the main point of my question, in a way, answers yours. The ones that wait until New Year's Day (the majority anyway) probably don't have a deep desire to change. The good intentions are there but the dedication and determination are not.

working