Are religious people typically more emotionally, mentally, & psychologically imm

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 11 months ago

Are religious people typically more emotionally, mentally, & psychologically immature than atheists?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13501477_f260.jpg

2. Shubhankar Sharma profile image46
    Shubhankar Sharmaposted 11 months ago

I don't think so
    There is no religion in whole world which teach us to make any single crime even all are made to spread the message of peace and prosperity.
    that is why they are found more emotional, sensible, mentally strong, well wisher and much mature as well because they explore their self more than others.
    btw it's all about my opinion ,not sure what is correct or wrong .
    thanks

3. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 11 months ago

Firstly you'd have to define 'religious people.'  There are many religious people in many different religious traditions who have attained high levels of education and are admiral human beings not because of their religion but because of how they hold themselves as a human being.

I used to align with the atheist meme because of their ability for rational thought.  However, the more interaction I've had with the 'arguing atheist' who only relies on the thought process, the more I have find their discussions circular and lacking any form of flexibility of the mind.

In some spiritual traditions, emotional intelligence is very important.

I have long ago differentiated the religious from the spiritual seeker.  The spiritual seeker essentially is on a quest of self knowledge, self reflection, self transformation and attainment of broader states of consciousness.  This requires meditation practices, deconstruction of learned behaviour.  Above all it is about experiences and not beliefs.

The religious on the other hand I place in the faith category of believing written texts without doing the inner work, ie not applying those texts to their lives at a deep level.  A good teacher is one who does not preach truth, but makes the student or listener become the truth.  Those that follow blindly the spoken words of the teacher or preacher, without a rigorous training of self knowledge be that physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually do so at their peril.

What stands out is that those who wish to believe or have faith based on an externalisation of the senses and relying on someone or something else to fulfill them spiritually is possibly prone to being more powerless and prone to reliance on others.  You could call this immaturity and also foolish at some level.

Not an easy question to answer without a lot of generalising.

working