my child vomits when she eats sweets...

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know this is a gross topic, but I'm finding it difficult to find any answers about this.

My daughter is 6 and seems to have a problem with candy and chocolate.  Actually anything sweet.  She will vomit almost directly after eating it on a lot of occassions.

Do you know any reason why this might be the case?

ps.  I have an 8 year old daughter who eats the same as my 6 year old, with no symptoms.

She doesnt eat too much candy and on the whole has a pretty balanced diet.

Anyone???

Thanks in advance

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

does she have asthma?

although you say it happens with sweets and not just chocolate.
      hmm.

2. stoneangel444 profile image59
      stoneangel444posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is also possible she may be allergic to something in the candy. I would mention it to you family MD and at the next opportunity see if there is anything in common in the ingredience list on the packaging

3. rayhansunny27 profile image41
      rayhansunny27posted 5 years agoin reply to this

as soon as possible consult a doctor

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This thread is right years old

FatFreddysCatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

*eight, not "right." Friggin auto correct.

Either way, this thread is ancient history, I hope the OP took their kid to a doctor long before now.

4. nhakhoadalat profile image61
      nhakhoadalatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think she have problem of stomach!
      you can give her to the hospital and test stomach 3 times a week.
      The result will be correct.

2. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Have you had her blood sugar tested?

megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, i haven't.  is there some connection?

1. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It might be a good idea to rule out diabetes.

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

is this a new problem? has she alwasy eaten sweets and been fine? is it only sweets, or could it be a gluten thing?
    When I was younger my mother feed me no refined sugar. I went to a birthday party when I was 4 and had cake and ice cream for the first time in my life. I threw up for 2 days.

megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never really put two and two together until a little while ago.  When she was really young, she didn't get to eat too much candy.  but now she is 6 and candy is one of the most important things in her life smile  so she gets it more often, is what i'm trying to say.

but finally today, she threw up at our local pharmacy and all it was was bits of rainbow colored sour candy.  that was the last straw for me.  now i have to stop letting her eat it to see if there is any difference.

I will list some foods that made her sick directly afterward and maybe you will see a connection;

oreo cookies,
      grape pop
      cheetos
      popcorn
      chocolate bar
      sour chews

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

my youngest daughter used to throw up every time she ate a  fruit roll up. could be the sugar alone, try cutting it out, but if it persists or other symptoms develop...extreme thirst, hunger, fatigue, weight loss, feelignhngru but beign unable to keep food down, ...get her to a docotor.

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Oh yeha, I am sorry your going through this, I hope you get answers soon and your kiddo feels better.  sad Its no fun having a sick kid.

5. profile image0
    moonphlowerposted 14 years ago

I would have her blood sugar tested...she may be diabetic.  I certainly hope it's nothing like that.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Symptoms of diabetes include always having to drink a lot, excessive thirst, weight loss. Haven't heard of vomiting sweet things as being a symptom but then what would I know?

1. profile image0
      moonphlowerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Before I was diagnosed, I would get extremely nauseated when my blood sugar dropped suddenly.  I never did get thirsty and weight loss was not an issue...I gained!  My doctor and I never put two and two together.  It was an absolute fluke that we found it.  hmm

That was the only reason I mentioned it.

1. profile image0

how old were you? I have a good friend who's child was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He threw up alot. About the weight gain/loss I think symptoms of childrens diabetes are diffeent from adults? (Plus, theres alwasy some lucky perosn who gets teh symptoms all wrong. Lucky your dr figured it out!!)
        I hope this isnt scaring you Megs..its most likely just the sugar itself. I still get queasy if I eat sugar on an empty stomach.

1. profile image0

I was 34 when I was diagnosed...it was October of last year!  sad  It's a long drawn out story on how we caught it...

Megs, I am certainly not saying that's what it is...just worth checking in too.

1. profile image0

well, Im sorry that happened, and Im glad you did catch it.  smile

1. profile image0

Thank you!  smile

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

too much candy is not good for her anyway. if she's overloading on candy, her body is rejecting it. I would not give her any for a while and consult a physician.

is she feeling o.k. otherwise? not coming down with something?

8. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

the reason this is kind of all hitting home with me is because I had gestational diabetes with my children but with her it was uncontrolled and she weighed 10 pounds at birth.  so now, she has a higher risk of developping it, but I thought it was more when she would be an adult or pregnant herself.

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I see I missed some replies to this, but seeing as its been brought up again,there is a difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
    Type 1 is the type that chilren normally suffer from, and the symptoms include weight loss and excessive thirst. Type 2 is what adults get, and they are usually medically obese, and may or may not have an excessive thirst.
    There is no correlation between a woman having gestational diabetes and the child developing diabetes, to my knowledge.
    I have no knowledge of vomitting being a symptom of diabetes either. That is not to say it doesn't happen for some people, but it is not generally a recognised sign.
    A child vomitting after eating sweet things may well be displaying signs of an allergic reaction. I do not know to what. That is what doctors are paid to find out.

10. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Hi Megs;
    What is the rest of her diet like?  Does she eat veggies or fruit without objection?  A properly balanced diet includes a wide variety of vegetables and fruit, along with whole-grain breads and cereals, plus various beans.  You should also limit snacks and junk food wherever possible.  I know this is often very difficult with children, but early good habits pay off later in life, in the form of healthier, happier adults.

I certainly don't mean to berate you for being a bad mother.  You just have to be firm..lay down the law.  Get her interested in nourishing stuff.  You might like to check out my 2 hubs on natural health or my own website on the same subject. Just go to my profile page.

It sounds to me like she's getting waayyy too much sugar.  You'll have to wean her off the sugar, like pronto.  She's probably developed a toxicity to the sugar..so much so that her system is rejecting it, and rightly so.  There's no nutritive value in refined sugar anyway.  It can't be properly metabolized. Here's a boring little lesson on sugar, insulin and diebetes:

Your body normally produces its' own insulin, which is what regulates the release of glucose (or blood sugar) into your system to give you energy.  Whole-grains found in cereals and such, contain natural sugars which are broken down more slowly than refined sugars found in candy etc.  If there's a sudden rush due to consumption of refined sugar, your body can't produce enough insulin that quickly to keep up.  If this is kept up or repeated too frequently, your system really goes out of whack.  This eventually leads to diabetes.

The moral of the story is that sugar is not good for you.  At 6, your daughter still has a very good chance of getting herself back to a healthy state.  The older you get, the more irreversible the damage is.  Just obey mother nature..she knows best. Cheers smile

11. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

Take her to a doctor !

12. juliopinedez profile image60
    juliopinedezposted 4 years ago

It does not make sense to eat sweets. It contains a lot of sugar, which is very bed for tooth. Is very important to learn our children to live good and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.

FatFreddysCatposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"Bed For Tooth" would be an excellent band name.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)