I know this is a gross topic, but I'm finding it difficult to find any answers about this.
My daughter is 6 and seems to have a problem with candy and chocolate. Actually anything sweet. She will vomit almost directly after eating it on a lot of occassions.
Do you know any reason why this might be the case?
ps. I have an 8 year old daughter who eats the same as my 6 year old, with no symptoms.
She doesnt eat too much candy and on the whole has a pretty balanced diet.
Thanks in advance
does she have asthma?
although you say it happens with sweets and not just chocolate.
It is also possible she may be allergic to something in the candy. I would mention it to you family MD and at the next opportunity see if there is anything in common in the ingredience list on the packaging
is this a new problem? has she alwasy eaten sweets and been fine? is it only sweets, or could it be a gluten thing?
When I was younger my mother feed me no refined sugar. I went to a birthday party when I was 4 and had cake and ice cream for the first time in my life. I threw up for 2 days.
I never really put two and two together until a little while ago. When she was really young, she didn't get to eat too much candy. but now she is 6 and candy is one of the most important things in her life so she gets it more often, is what i'm trying to say.
but finally today, she threw up at our local pharmacy and all it was was bits of rainbow colored sour candy. that was the last straw for me. now i have to stop letting her eat it to see if there is any difference.
I will list some foods that made her sick directly afterward and maybe you will see a connection;
my youngest daughter used to throw up every time she ate a fruit roll up. could be the sugar alone, try cutting it out, but if it persists or other symptoms develop...extreme thirst, hunger, fatigue, weight loss, feelignhngru but beign unable to keep food down, ...get her to a docotor.
Oh yeha, I am sorry your going through this, I hope you get answers soon and your kiddo feels better. Its no fun having a sick kid.
I would have her blood sugar tested...she may be diabetic. I certainly hope it's nothing like that.
Symptoms of diabetes include always having to drink a lot, excessive thirst, weight loss. Haven't heard of vomiting sweet things as being a symptom but then what would I know?
Before I was diagnosed, I would get extremely nauseated when my blood sugar dropped suddenly. I never did get thirsty and weight loss was not an issue...I gained! My doctor and I never put two and two together. It was an absolute fluke that we found it.
That was the only reason I mentioned it.
how old were you? I have a good friend who's child was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He threw up alot. About the weight gain/loss I think symptoms of childrens diabetes are diffeent from adults? (Plus, theres alwasy some lucky perosn who gets teh symptoms all wrong. Lucky your dr figured it out!!)
I hope this isnt scaring you Megs..its most likely just the sugar itself. I still get queasy if I eat sugar on an empty stomach.
I was 34 when I was diagnosed...it was October of last year! It's a long drawn out story on how we caught it...
Megs, I am certainly not saying that's what it is...just worth checking in too.
too much candy is not good for her anyway. if she's overloading on candy, her body is rejecting it. I would not give her any for a while and consult a physician.
is she feeling o.k. otherwise? not coming down with something?
the reason this is kind of all hitting home with me is because I had gestational diabetes with my children but with her it was uncontrolled and she weighed 10 pounds at birth. so now, she has a higher risk of developping it, but I thought it was more when she would be an adult or pregnant herself.
I see I missed some replies to this, but seeing as its been brought up again,there is a difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 is the type that chilren normally suffer from, and the symptoms include weight loss and excessive thirst. Type 2 is what adults get, and they are usually medically obese, and may or may not have an excessive thirst.
There is no correlation between a woman having gestational diabetes and the child developing diabetes, to my knowledge.
I have no knowledge of vomitting being a symptom of diabetes either. That is not to say it doesn't happen for some people, but it is not generally a recognised sign.
A child vomitting after eating sweet things may well be displaying signs of an allergic reaction. I do not know to what. That is what doctors are paid to find out.
What is the rest of her diet like? Does she eat veggies or fruit without objection? A properly balanced diet includes a wide variety of vegetables and fruit, along with whole-grain breads and cereals, plus various beans. You should also limit snacks and junk food wherever possible. I know this is often very difficult with children, but early good habits pay off later in life, in the form of healthier, happier adults.
I certainly don't mean to berate you for being a bad mother. You just have to be firm..lay down the law. Get her interested in nourishing stuff. You might like to check out my 2 hubs on natural health or my own website on the same subject. Just go to my profile page.
It sounds to me like she's getting waayyy too much sugar. You'll have to wean her off the sugar, like pronto. She's probably developed a toxicity to the sugar..so much so that her system is rejecting it, and rightly so. There's no nutritive value in refined sugar anyway. It can't be properly metabolized. Here's a boring little lesson on sugar, insulin and diebetes:
Your body normally produces its' own insulin, which is what regulates the release of glucose (or blood sugar) into your system to give you energy. Whole-grains found in cereals and such, contain natural sugars which are broken down more slowly than refined sugars found in candy etc. If there's a sudden rush due to consumption of refined sugar, your body can't produce enough insulin that quickly to keep up. If this is kept up or repeated too frequently, your system really goes out of whack. This eventually leads to diabetes.
The moral of the story is that sugar is not good for you. At 6, your daughter still has a very good chance of getting herself back to a healthy state. The older you get, the more irreversible the damage is. Just obey mother nature..she knows best. Cheers
by Azhar Kamar21 months ago
How to know if you have diabetes?My boss keeps on saying I have diabetes because I always drink sweet drinks at work. I also saw ants gathering around the toilet bowl. So, what's the easiest way to know if I have...
by Peeples5 years ago
At what age does candy become appropriate for a child?My 20mth old daughter has never had any type of candy. I am now getting "that's mean" "you're not being fair to her" and several other things...
by GH Price5 years ago
Has anybody here had low sugar problems after weight loss?I'm going to guess that I've lost around fifty pounds since late spring. Recently, I've been having a lot of sugar crashes, and I think it may be due to my body...
by Earl S. Wynn6 years ago
I've heard that giving up coffee and sweets gives you more energy! Is this true?
by NCBIer7 years ago
Is there a link between eating sugary foods and being unable to control your impulses? I'm thinking about kids, elementary school age in particular. I've read everything I can online, but am looking for personal...
by Lgali8 years ago
I needs anything sweet after my food any advice other than not go near
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.