I hate to talk about this .....

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I am very depressed right now

I feel very low.

I just wrote a hub about my income. I worry about money everyday

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You say you have $250.00 a month in discretionary income??

I really cannot imagine what you have to complain about. I know plenty of people who have far less than that.

When my wife and I were first married we would save up nickels and dimes so we could buy a pizza once a month. We drank powdered milk and had a car that leaked water onto my foot when it rained.  We kept the heat on 63 and wrapped ourselves in blankets to stay warm.

Look, I know it can be hard. You are depressed, I get it.  But things could be worse. You have extra money - start investing it in your future. Make a plan to get out of your situation and work toward that goal. Go to school or start buying stocks.  Do what you need to do.  Inch by inch, make things better.

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand, good point. I appreciate your feedback.  I think it's hard because I have some mania or bad spending habits. I think I need a person to handle my money. I was a great saver when I was very young. Then I lost that skill.

When you are depressed, shopping seems like an escape.

You need to replace that with another habit - the Self Improvement Habit.  Maybe you'd like investing?  Do  you know about sharebuilder.com  ?  Or do you have a goal like owning a business?  Moving toward that goal can keep your mind occupied and happier.   Or take courses - you probably qualify for assistance.

Or volunteer.  Helping others takes our own depression away.

Exercise is good too - any interest in being a physical trainer?

sharebuilder.com
            i'd love to learn about stocks actually.
            do you always earn $, I mean would I risk losing it all?
            I''ll visit the site.

No, you can lose money in stocks.  It's just a way for people with very little money to dabble in stock speculation.  A mutual fund is smarter, but if you like dabbling, it can be fun.

2. profile image0
          andycoolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How many pairs of shoes do you have?

2. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not having enough money is stressful and worrying. When you don't have enough money and don't worry is when you run into real trouble. I've known several on the breadline who spend as if they are in well paid jobs. Not recommended.

If shopping is a pleasure, rather than give it up see if somebody will pay you to shop for or with them.
      Hit the thrift shops, buy junk, clean and repair and sell on at a profit. I dug myself out of a deep hole like that, my flat backs on to a charity book shop. I asked the manager if I could pay the rent on the bins in exchange for the right to pick them over. He told me I was welcome to pick but he couldn't take any money as there was nothing of value. I was making several hundred pounds a week from them.
      When I was at a point when my income was virtually nil I heard a poor bloke on the radio, he'd built up a consulting business, doing OK with a few guys working for him. One day they upped sticks and left taking all the clients and just leaving him the debts. His biggest hardship was that he could only eat every other day with a pound a day. For the next three months I limited myself to a pound a day for food and at the end of the three months worked out I'd actually spent about 70p a day and was fitter and healthier than when I spent more money. It meant I never ate out and I don't eat meat anyway, but I could afford wine and beer occasionally.

Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, feel sorry for the poor saps who know exactly what they'll be doing and exactly how much they'll get paid every day until they get fired.

Keep talking, there are more of us than you would ever imagine.

2. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Wow Listen Girl... PcUnix is speaking from experience giving you solid advice.. i would follow it if I were you...You need to learn to keep your mind under your control.. decide to be happy at all times... is hard at first but with practice it always works.
    Cheer up the sun is shining on you!!
    Have a great day or what is left of it!

Listen Girl? What advice? Keep my mind under control? You think I should just "snap out of it?" Do you tell your freinds with cancer to snap out of it? Depression is the same. You have no clue.

Decide to be happy........that's not always a choice w/ depression or whatever. Yeah, you have no clue.

Do you live on $10 a day?

1. princess g profile image60
        princess gposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is a choice. Change your thoughts, and that will change your emotions. Get control of yourself.

And no one said snap out of it. It takes a hell of a lot of work.

You get what you think. If you want a better life, MAKE ONE.

I know this from experience(and yes I've lived off less than ten bucks a day)

2. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

schoolgirl, i don't think anyone here means you any harm, as i just read through this forum.  however, it is possible to live off that much a day if you know how to spend wisely.  take food for instance, you can always buy and live off ramen noodles if you want.  ramen noodles packs are usually around 10 to 25 cents per pack, so that right there would save you a lot of money.  my mom did that when she divorced my father, so she could support us.  basically she had to make a lot of financial sacrifices to survive, as the divorce hit her pretty hard financially.

plus, if your struggling this much financially, you can always try to apply for government programs to see if they'll help.  sure, they may not accept you, but it never hurts to try.  such programs like welfare or foodstamps are available, that you can try to apply for, as any one of those would help out significantly to help you out.  anyways, i hope this helps. 

as far as dealing with depression goes, i can't really help you there, as i struggle with that too sometimes.  however, it helps to do relaxing things to take your mind off of it.  such things like writing hubs, watching movies, drawing, or whatever. the point is there's a lot of things you can do to take your mind off of this. heck, i remember you told me once that you like going to church, so why not volunteer at the church for a bit.  not only would you be able to count that to get a tax break at the end of the year, but it would be a great way to take your mind off things doing something you enjoy.

im sorry to hear your going through all this though, and i hope things get better for you. i really do.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Invest that money in education. I don't know what your current job is, but if it doesn't pay much, take night classes or online classes. Do some research to discover which jobs pay well and are in demand. A proper education or job training is a lot less risky than dabbling in the stock market. Also, you can get college loans that you don't have to pay back until after you graduate. In some fields, the loans are completely forgiveable - you never have to pay them back.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK that avatar rocks girl!

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kimbo! That's hubby in his pirate costume.

4. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

You will be ok.  I will pray for you.

thankyou

5. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

Most people have no understanding of what it's like so it's kinda a waste of time,
    I appreciate the nice comments, but unless youre f***ed like me and suffering from depression, bipolar, anxiety,
    you have no clue and you can only support me, not think you can tell me what to do. Thanks anyways now let's move on. I'll find my own way, some way, beleive me.......in 2 yrs maybe I'll make good money w/ hubpages. until then I'll do whatever I can.

I'm not going into it anymore.Ciao

I have lived with all those things, and much, MUCH worse.

Stop the self pity, get off your ass and do something to make life better for yourself, and those around you. The more you give, the more you get.

If you think I'm being mean to you, I'm not. I'm trying to get your attention.

6. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Schoolgirl, be glad that you have $250.  That's actually on the low side.  Keep saving.  When it comes to investments, you should look consider what would happen to that money if you were to lose 50% then invest an amount that you can be comfortable with losing.

With all due respect, it's not reall discretionery [income] because I need to get lunch when I'm out often/ I need to put gas in my car.  so I end up only spending a lttle money on me like...very little.  Because I live so far from everyone too.

7. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I'm going to my second funeral in about a week if it makes you feel any better.

Always remember, it could be worse.. Much worse.

There were 2 deaths and I'm still more than kicking. I loved those girls too. One was 93(great gram)and the other was a beautiful 23 year old name megan

sorry to hear that hmm
      I'm not always very good at handling emotional things.

Very few of us are - and the ones who do may be people you wouldn't want to spend much time with.

8. ChristinaScibona profile image70
    ChristinaScibonaposted 13 years ago

I have empathy for you however, you are the one that came onto the forums with your problems and when people offered words of encouragment you were very rude. If you don't want to hear what people have to say then don't post your personal business on the forums...they have a right to respond anyway they wish...Best of luck to you and I hope you get everything figured out.

sorry bout that, it wasn't my intention

9. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

As to cheap grubs, rice is cheap and nutritious.  So are nuts - we mix unsalted peanuts with the too salty nut mixes - fairly cheap and healthy  nutrition when bought in larger quantities.

I mentioned powdered milk before.  It can take some effort to get used to the taste, but it is cheap.

When shopping, consider calories per dollar.  Obviously you need to think about nutritional value too, but doing that calorie math can help keep your costs down.

you can get a 25 lb bag of rice at costco for 8 bucks.lots of carbs, but you can get plenty of cheap nutritious food like garlic, carrots, broccoli,  celery, potatoes, legumes, beans, chicken (when it's on sale for 29 cents a pound for a whole chicken) to go along with it.

Learn how to cook with what you can afford

So true. My wife is very creative with food, so while we had to scrape and scrounge our first few years, we still had wonderful meals.  Cheap doesn't have to mean uninteresting or not nutritious.

We still eat pretty inexpensively and she still puts together delicious meals.  I have told her she ought to share her creativity, but she always finds a reason to beg off.

10. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I understand depression very, very well, sgfr.  I have battled it for ages.  While I think people here on HP are trying to be helpful, depression is not a rational condition.  I hope you find help with it-there are many meds and professionals who can assist you.
    All my best.

11. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

thx everyone
    I appreciate your effort to help
    it shows you care.

Love,
    SG

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I am sure most of us here are not exactly millionaires. And I am not one of them for sure.I work 2 jobs and I cannot afford a car! But I don't complain and don't sink into depression and self pity though I do not have a particularly bright future.
    If you do not have money for the car - sell it and walk!
    I never eat out and first thing in the morning is my lunch preparation, I take it with me - always! A salad, a piece of meat or fish, a fruit. If I want pizza, I buy it frozen at supermarket and cook myself. I buy things at the end of a season on sale, or just watch sales if I need something urgently. I try to buy quality - it lasts longer. Depression is not cancer, it's mental disease and you can, YOU CAN get over it, you just need motivation. If you let it get over you, then you'll be doomed. it might bring other diseases with it, it's dangerous and overpowering. Key - save money at least a little, make sure that you earn/have more than you spend in a month at least. If at the end of a month you have a dollar left, you are already a winner! But you have to be busy with something that is positive and brings you money, then you will feel better. If you like spending - you'll have something to spend! But always put aside something. If you cannot invest - make a saving account at least.

Sorry I mentioned it. I have friends who hallucinate without illegal drugs and one walked around barefoot w/ glass on her hands...not knowing where she was. And some who can barely function. I wouldn't wish schzophrenia or any thing on anybody.  They find it hard to stay alive as it is than to have to worry about everything and have a family who has money but doesn't help. This may seem trivial to someone who is not mentally ill but when you are mentall ill......you should read my hub about Stigma and how many people cannot understand it because you can't see it.

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the thing is....the people who don't get the depression side of it are giving you good frugality tips. Try to be patient and understand someone can not fully grasp something they have not experienced. You are dealing with more then one thing, some hubbers have dealt with depression, some with poverty. I'm sure many have dealt with both.  Try to read the advice form both sides and combine them into something that works for you, rather then feeling you need to defend it all.

I couldn't find the hub you mentioned. so, I'm not sure what the 250 a month is all about. I am guessing maybe you mean after bills you have about 50 or 60 dollars a week left over? is this just for you and is it extra or is it your entire "food and everything else that isn't a bill" budget?

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i gotta run, will check in asap for  your response. Hubby was laid off today so....not sure when Ill be back. drop an email if ya want sgfr. I actually know a few things that maybe would be helpful, but am not really in the mood for forums. Take care, I do hope you feel better soon. really, email me if your up to it. I will write back next chance I get.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)