how to deal with chemo.It is my mother, she is 73.this is new to us.

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Dee42 profile image61
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5805389_f248.jpg
    any info on how chemo effects,she has to take 6 months of it.low dosage

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It's going to make her very tired at times. It's most likely going to give her an upset stomach, which means she will from time to time have problems eating or digesting food she does eat.

My sister went through treatment and my father died from Cancer after being severely weakened by treatments. The treatments didn't kill him, the Cancer did that, but the treatments took a toll on him.

My sister lost her hair and weight. She did however do as a doctor suggested, to smoke a little weed to get her stomach more on track.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

we replied around the same time...we've both been touched by this disease and many, many others too; I absolutely hate this disease

and Dee42, remain positive...it's a difficult time

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

..sorry to read that...not an expert...chemo and its side affects sucks...i'd go to the National Cancer Society of whatever country you live in and read some info about chemo therapy and the type of cancer....you should get some insight as to what to expect...the oncologist should also have some written material...unfortunately the docs time can seem very limited when you and family are in the middle of it all...and they (oncologists) are so used to dealing with cancer/chemo that they may not touch on the areas you are ready/able to handle or hear....

...i wish you all well...

4. Dee42 profile image61
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

Thanx u guys, it meant a lot. .

5. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mother has been struck down by this terrible disease. 

This wikipedia is very thorough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotherapy
    and some of the more common regimens are listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotherapy_regimens

A family member had to have chemo ten years ago due to having hodgkin's disease. It was tough on him, but the regimens have moved on since then. Regimens now cut down on the side effects somewhat compared to back then.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

It's different for everyone. I never threw up but i did feel sick to my stomach on the days i had the chemo IV. I made sure i ate well to keep up my red blood cells. My hair thinned a lot.  Good luck to your mother.

7. roshall profile image79
    roshallposted 12 years ago

i know nothing on this subject but my heart goes out to you. Thoughts and Pr**yers too.

8. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 12 years ago

As Uninvited writer said, everyone and their system is different. I was on Chemo in '94 for 6-months as an experimental treatment. I never actually got sick to the stomach, but i would just, all of a sudden "gush". and then I would be OK for a couple of hours and then "gush" again. Several of these and then I was very weak, but basically, OK until the next treatment.
    Good Luck and our Prayers to your Mother!

9. LookingForWalden profile image61
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, you have my thoughts.
    My dad starts chemo next week for liver cancer, he has no chance of survival as you can't get a transplant unless your cancer free for like five years or something. With treatment they say he might get a year. I'm not sure if he will go through with it if it makes him sick though.

10. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

My good friend went through chemo for throat/mouth cancer. Marijuana helped him a lot.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family!

11. Purple Turtle profile image62
    Purple Turtleposted 12 years ago

My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer in January of this year. She had to undergo several surgeries and 6 months of chemo. She is 65 and usually is as active as a 20 year old bouncing around and always finding things to do. But when she was on chemo she did not want to do anything. She said that her whole body would ache all the time and the only thing that brought her comfort was sitting in her recliner.

Fortunately, she was able to make a full recover and is apparently cancer free. She still has to go in and get check up on occasion though.

Cancer is a scary thing. I pride myself in trying to find the positive in all things so I am sure that your mother will make it through. My family's prayers go out to her and your family as well.

12. Dee42 profile image61
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

I've been blessed by all of y'all and good advice.

how are you doing Dee?

13. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

One of the best resources are the nurses in charge of the chemo.
    Since they deal with usually hundreds of patients, they know a lot of the ins and outs Drs don't know about.
    It's rough, but she can make it.
    I did it in 2007-2008 and I'm still here!

14. Dee42 profile image61
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

I'm ok most of the time, but sometimes it kicks me right in the gut. I think because mainly our family hasn't had to deal with any sickness or death, we have been really blessed that way. And thank goodness for my job, long hrs takes your mind off the cancer, it seems like I'm more scared than she is.

yeah...that's what happens sometimes...it's a tough time...where ever life moves - you'll do it...you'll move along too cuz you have to....written words are simple, but life is  not

Peace Dee...and strength to you...maybe we can help give you some strength here...hope so....

15. Dee42 profile image61
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

Thank you.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Be strong.. remain positive...never give up..cancer can be beaten but not if you are already defeated in your thoughts.. take care and good wishes and prayers for your mother.

16. pinoy101 profile image60
    pinoy101posted 12 years ago

I don't know much about this subject but my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Remain strong.

17. Dee42 profile image61
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

thanks you guys.

18. Peter Brenner profile image62
    Peter Brennerposted 12 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's cancer diagnosis.
    My sister Theresa had breast cancer 2 years ago (at age 66) and the chemo was really hard on her but she had a full recovery, by the grace of God.  She did say that watching of her food combinations (focus on fresh, whole foods) especially the day before, and the day of the chemo, did help her stomach a lot.
    Especially tell your mom to stay away form any processed foods (those with ingredient names you can't pronounce), eat as many vegetables and fruits as she can, drink lots of water, and get lots of sunshine.
    God's sunshine is a healer of body and soul, boosting the body's production of vitamin D, and has such a warming and soothing effect on anyone who is going through such a deep valley.
    My thoughts and prayers are with her, and with you too Dee42, for God's comfort through this trial and for healing and restoration.
    My best friend Ted went through cancer chemo 25 years ago (at age 43) and he is now cancer-free to this very day, so there is definitely hope for your mom too.
    Kindest regards,
    Peter Brenner (age 68)
    Toronto, Canada
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5827474_f248.jpg

19. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 12 years ago

Sorry your Mom has to do chemo.

Some chemo is more taxing than others. If she is doing a platinum based chemo like cisplatin or MVAC, the effects tend to be more acute and cummulative. I did 4 months of cisplatin and gemzar ( combo week 1, gemzar only weeks 2 & 3, week 4 off). By the end of the 4th round the neuropathy in my hands and feet was significant - I needed help to walk and I seemed to drop everything.
    Hopefully these tips will be helpful. The chemo nurses can be life savers. Tell them about the side effects - nausea, constipation or the opposite, rashes, etc. They can give many sample meds to help. The antinausea meds that really worked well for me had a $250 copay for 4 pills so the samples were appreciated.
    As far as eating and chemo...Cold foods have no smell which helps. What tastes good today may cause hurling tomarrow so get small ammounts of things as it changes alot. Mouth sores can cause trouble eating. Get an infant tooth brush and some baking soda to rinse frequently.
    With in a few days after the combo, I would get severly dehydrated. It hurt to move. The nurses would have me back for a bag or two of IV fluids like 3 days after chemo - and it was an incredible help. Ask if this is an option.
    Eliminate smelly things if the nausea is bad. Scented candles, etc. And stay ahead of the nausea too. It is easier to take meds and stay ahead of it than it is to get rid of the sick feeling once it is with you.
      Email if I can be of any help. I'll keep your Mom in my thoughts.

20. Dee42 profile image61
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

Oh my gosh, thank you! I had no clue. Man, I'm glad that y'all are here. Ya know, I walk in the Komen race every year for about 6 yrs now, little did I know that my mom and the whole family would have to go thru this. Thanks again,all of you are a God-send.

21. Jackie Lynnley profile image82
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 12 years ago

Peppermint tums (antacid) is very good to help with bad nausea if it does not hurt something else she is taking. I found it out accidentally but it really works good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)