Regulating Sugar - Your Thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

The latest news is some regulator wishes to regulate sugar in the same manner alcohol is regulated.

I can understand the cry for greater health but should we first be mandating prescriptions for exercise before we regulate food?

Is sugar and butter really bad IF used in moderate quantities? Isn't the greatest harm done by lack of exercise?

What are your thoughts on this subject?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What? Silly.

I'm all for clear labeling, but to regulate its sale as if it were alcohol is just silly.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

My rule has always been if I crave sweets/sugar I have not the right diet. Having the right diet correspondent to my system, I have almost never craved sweets.

3. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

Just reading this post is making my mouth water for a jar of Nutella and a spoon.
    Off to the store I go!

4. breakfastpop profile image64
    breakfastpopposted 12 years ago

I think we already have enough government intrusion in our lives. In some school districts, lunches sent from home are confiscated if they are deemed to be lacking in nutrition.  I think it is up to the individual to regulate his or her diet.

5. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 12 years ago

does FDA really stand for
    For Dumb Americans

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I have never had a sweet-tooth so I don't think much about refined sugar, however, sugar is still sugar and there is sugar in all sorts of things, including dairy products.  Exactly what will be regulated?  Only sugar, things containing sugar, things that turn into sugar in the body?  Will chocolate chip cookies and milk become the new meth?  Does fruit also get regulated?  Fruit is supposed to be good for you, isn't it?  Seriously, where does it end?  And what are the alternataives, cancer causing sugar substitutes?  Regulating sugar has more to do with CREATING REVENUE than health, and is just another blow to our personal freedom.

7. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

Part of the "regulation" could mean getting rid of subsidies to sugar and corn lobbies.

Maybe the FDA could also stop promoting junk science that fat is what kills you, and instead reinforce that sugar & sugarlike products are bad. That way fewer sugary foods could claim that they're part of a "heart-healthy diet" and other nonsense I've seen on supermarket shelves.

8. Joelipoo profile image77
    Joelipooposted 12 years ago

More governemnt regulation is the last thing we need.  Along with sugar, there is talk of wanting to ban fast food commercials as well.  Do they really think fast food and sugar are the reasons that America is in such poor shape?  I will agree that these things are not the greatest to put in our bodies, but almost anything is fine in moderation.  The bigger problem is the lack of exercise.  People are far too caught up in technology.  Society has become lazy and content with sitting around being entertained by technology instead of physical activity.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Do they really think fast food and sugar are the reasons that America is in such poor shape?"
      They kind of are, but not in the way we're meant to think.

Livelonger got it right re: the subsidies going to the corn industry. We eat so much fast food because it's (apparently) cheap, and it's cheap because of subsidies to the corn factories. (You can't really call them 'farms.') A fast food value meal is mostly made of commodity corn, after all.

Read Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma" for a great explanation of where our food comes from and why most of it has become so bad for us.

"The bigger problem is the lack of exercise."
      This, too, is a problem, but not one made by government subsidies.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think reading 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' should be on everyone's 'must read' list. He also has numerous other books on the subject, plus a children's edition of The Omnivore's Dilemma. http://michaelpollan.com/books/the-omnivores-dilemma/

I read it a number of years ago and it helped me understand the food industry much more clearly. Basically the food companies run our country.

As far as regulating what we eat, it would just be nice to know what the h.. we're really eating. If you want to cut down on sugar, replace it with whole grains and healthy proteins.

9. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I think some govt officials have too much idle time tongue especially when they start interfering in the daily lives of the public hmm probably best for the people to consider having that official removed tongue

1. vespawoolf profile image92
      vespawoolfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think controlling sugar intake is an individual decision. If a diet is balanced, one doesn't crave sugar which means it isn't a potentially addictive substance like alcohol.

1. jimmylesaint profile image60
        jimmylesaintposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not just about how many sugars you put in your tea or how many are in pop drinks. There is tons of sugar used as preservatives in literally anything canned and anything fast food. Do a search on how many people have diabetes- you'll find it is an epidemic without any one flinching an eyelid(remember bird flu/swine flu was deemed to become an epidemic--everyone ran screaming for the hills) Here the sugar added to everything you buy almost from the supermarkets is going to be responsible for many more deaths that alcohol cause and cost trillions of dollars to treat a diabetic chronically for decades--up goes the cost of medicare!

10. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 12 years ago

Government begone-Actually after grocery shopping today I believe the government has already started controlling sugar. My grocery bill is 20% higher than it was 3 months ago-  I'm not going to be able to afford the sweet stuff.
    Usually crave sugar when I am getting sick.  It feeds cancer so I increase my water intake and up the vitamin C when the cravings start.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)