If you are an atheist, do you still celebrate Christmas?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. nmdonders profile image72
    nmdondersposted 11 years ago

Do you celebrate Christmas, a different holiday, or just do nothing?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do celebrate Christmas. It is a holiday that is pretty hard to avoid and has become much more than a religious one.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I celebrate Christmas because my family do and they want me around at that time of the year. However, when my daughter and son have left home, though, I will happily shut myself away with a couple of good books.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, my Christmas last year consisted of watching Dr. Who and being home alone smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm always glad when it's over. smile

2. glassvisage profile image83
        glassvisageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uninvited Writer, I agree - for me and my family, we've made Christmas our own, and we have our own traditions that go along with the season. For us it mostly means a time to be with family and give gifts, bake cookies, listen to the Christmas music that we've listened to for years, bring out the same old decorations, and eat great food smile
        http://glassvisage.hubpages.com/_fcap/h … liday_Ever

2. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i celebrate the holiday called "Christmas" , just not for religious reasons. it's family time for me and a holiday that by that time of the year i need.

2. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Sure - why not?  That early Christians tried to co-opt local solstice celebrations in order to gain converts and power (even while knowing the date to be false) does not change the fact that Christmas is a time of love, of giving and sharing, of family and happiness, of children and their laughter and excitement. 

The actions of centuries dead zealots needn't affect my own enjoyment of the season, and it doesn't.  Neither does the insistence of the modern day version of those same zealots that it is their holiday and the rest of the world must agree to the reasons for it mean anything at all.

Christmas is what it is - Santa bringing gifts, excited and wondering children, love and family.  There is absolutely no reason an atheist can't enjoy the season as much as anyone else.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that the name of this holiday season should be changed to reflect the nature of it as opposed to continuing to embrace the co-opted version used to gain converts and power.

New thread time. smile

3. kj force profile image61
    kj forceposted 11 years ago

The definition of an athiest is someone who denies God.....so I would have to assume no belief in Jesus or any of the Bible..
    so Christmas being the birth of Jesus, why would they celebrate it ? Although Christmas has kind of lost the " birth" signifigance through the years and appears to be just another commercial marketed " holiday" to rob people of their $$$$.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Celebrations were held on or about that day long before Christ was born, and even longer before the Church designated it as Christ's birthday even while knowing it almost certainly wasn't.

If that is the only reason you can find to enjoy that happy time of year, well, I'm sorry.

1. kj force profile image61
        kj forceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do believe you misunderstood my reply...I find many reasons to celebrate life all year, not just on Holidays...I merely replied to the question, regarding athetists relationship to the particular holiday...there are several other reasons to celebrate that time of the year having nothing to do with the birth..Hannukah for one....that's for your feedback though..

4. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

Christmas is just based on the winter solstice. The 25th is celebrated because after the sun doesn't change it's rising position for three days, on the fourth day after the solstice, it starts rising to the north again by about 1 degree.

The bible is astrotheology and allegory. That's it.

And I believe in God, mind you, but not the Christian Bible God.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I do celebrate Christmas, only because it's a non-rreligious family tradition,and I enjoy it.

5. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 11 years ago

I do celebrate Christmas but of course not in a religious way. To me Christmas time is about family, friends, food, and fun.

6. LensMan999 profile image59
    LensMan999posted 11 years ago

Not at all.

7. themadimadimadi profile image60
    themadimadimadiposted 11 years ago

Being that it is supposed to be about Jesus and his birth, No. Then again, the real meaning of Christmas has totally been morphed and commercialized, so maybe if you would like to consider it a national holiday rather religious. Same for Easter. I don't celebrate either.
    You should give gifts to people because you love them, not because something you don't believe in was said to have happened..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)