jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is Halloween? What are you actually celebrating when you dress up and 'tric

1. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

What is Halloween? What are you actually celebrating when you dress up and 'trick or treat'?

I live in Australia and don't know much about this celebration. Is it an American tradition?

2. MonsterMuncher profile image55
    MonsterMuncherposted 8 years ago

We are celebrating the fact that however ugly we think our own family are, if you open your door there are actually some really nasty ghoulish uglier people out there......I think :-P

3. Galadriel Arwen profile image72
    Galadriel Arwenposted 8 years ago

Halloween is a Celtic Tradition much older than American. It is a celebration of the change of the seasons and celebration of the dead. According to legend, on "All Hallows Eve" the world of the dead and the world of the living are not securely separated and ghosts / spirits come into the land of the living. Spirits both good and evil.

Believers go to the graveyard to invite recently deceased spirits home for the evening. Other believers dress up in scary costumes to keep the "evil spirits" away from them. The idea that new death is "bitter with the sweet." death being bitter and candy as sweet to help console is olden also. The hope of most is that ghosts / spirits satisfied will not do harm to the home. "Trick or Treat" is no joke to some people. Harmful events have happened on this day in the past including.the burning of  coffins, 

Halloween is also a night when those who believe they are witches or warlocks have more spiritual power to do their spells. In olden days, religious groups shun the holiday celebrations stating they were "Satanic." Now days, most religious groups have October Feasts to celebrate the changing of the seasons. Festivals are fun filled with costume parties,scary stories, food and festival..

4. profile image50
    vponsalesposted 6 years ago

I want to know too,have anyother answers??

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Salem witches' faces really did turn green, from severe physical punishments. Do you know what their broomsticks really represent?  Green faces and broomsticks are not for children - rate them NC-17. read more