Are you comfortable saying Merry Christmas or do you say Happy Holidays? Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (27 posts)
  1. lyjo profile image60
    lyjoposted 13 years ago

Are you comfortable saying Merry Christmas or do you say Happy Holidays?  Why?  Do you know the...

right thing to say to the right person? Do you think we have become too Politically Correct?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4129465_f260.jpg

2. profile image50
    totaldreamerposted 13 years ago

i think the correct saying should be happy holidays due to religion, but if tou know them dearly you shoud say merry christmas

3. craigb182 profile image60
    craigb182posted 13 years ago

I don't think it really matters to be honest. You can say either I doubt it would offend anyone. It is a pleasant greeting and only someone very spiteful would find offence.

4. lyjo profile image60
    lyjoposted 13 years ago

I live in an area, (government town) and people are pretty snippy about it....you get dirty looks and such...even comments on occasion....I have asked a couple of them, if they celebrate Christmas, they respond "Of course I do" And I have to wonder why its come to this....? And then I have had some that will actually whisper..."Thank you so much for saying that, people just don't say it anymore"....Ridiculous!

5. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

I say "Merry Christmas"... don't care about being politically correct.

6. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

Why should we be politicaly correct in our own country ? Foreiners come to live amongst us then they should do as we do.

I say 'HAPPY CHRISTMAS'

I have a 'CHRISTMAS TREE' not a 'WINTER TREE'

My grandchildren  have a 'NATIVITY PLAY ' at school not a 'WINTER CELEBRATION'

I am a CHRISTIAN and proud of it   

HAPPY CHRISTMAS  to you all XX

7. americanwriter profile image60
    americanwriterposted 13 years ago

I'm totally comfortable saying Merry Christmas! I also wish people their own happy holidays if I know what they. Christmas is my holiday I celebrate it with great joy. And why not? The real meaning of Christmas is love and redemption. What is wrong with spreading love around? When a person says Merry Christmas, Happy Christmas or Happy Holidays it is an expression of good wishes. Remember the song "We wish you a Merry Christmas?"... it says "good tidings we bring to you and your kin.."  You don't need to be Christian to enjoy the meaning of Christmas. Its about love and if you are on the other side and find it "offensive" you can always say "Back at ya hey its not my holiday but loving the love."  And you just might feel a little happier inside. Love feels great, anger hurts.

8. Stan Wats profile image58
    Stan Watsposted 13 years ago

What's wrong in wishing "Merry Christmas"? I don't think Christmas is just a festival celebrated by Christians only. This is one festival that is celebrated by one and all almost throughout the world. And as Christmas is all about love and joy I prefer to wish people just to share and spread the cheer around. A little bit of cheer during these violent and tough economic times is not bad, right?

9. brnielsen44 profile image60
    brnielsen44posted 13 years ago

Merry Christmas, no doubt. I know plenty of people that are not Christians that have always said and enjoyed Christmas. It wasn't until one group started making a stink about it that they even thought deeper about it. I am Christian and proud to be one, but would never want to rub that in any one's face. However, I have no problem saying Merry Christmas just as I don't mind saying God bless to anyone.

10. profile image50
    zuruiykeposted 13 years ago

Ofcourse, it is the season and we are expected give it that similar attention,even none christians have been influenced to a greater lenght by this...........     merry christmas....as we join in hoppe for a prosperous new year,with less crime, good economy and a better life  for us all..

11. medor profile image62
    medorposted 13 years ago

Merry Christmas is cool even if you aren't a christian cause Christmas is a cultural holiday also..
    Happy Holidays includes New Years and all the rest so it is inclusive of the whole season.
    It is up to the individual to decide what they want to say, but the most important thing is... to say it!!! 
    Wishing someone happiness is a good thing year round...  but culturally we begin at Thanksgiving and go through New Year's doing whatever we want to do to celebrate...
    Gift giving is a sign that we want to make people a little bit happier...
    Lighten' up everyone...
    Look people in the eye and wish them whatever you want...
    Happiness cannot be corrupted by political correctness!!!

12. Vicki.Pierce profile image70
    Vicki.Pierceposted 13 years ago

I believe that it is important to say "Christ"mas.....as you should never take "Christ"-the true meaning out of the word.
    Just my humble opinion......

13. Zakmoonbeam profile image93
    Zakmoonbeamposted 13 years ago

For certain it's Christmas in my household, I don't feel the need to spare peoples feelings over what is a personal belief for me, nor should I have to make excuses for my extremely moderate beliefs.

That said, I have no problem with any one else celebrating in their own way, live and let live, and enjoy whatever you celebrate.

14. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image75
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 13 years ago

I say Merry Christmas - I have for years and see no reason to change it.  As of yet I haven't run across anyone who seems to object.

15. rafken profile image78
    rafkenposted 13 years ago

Nothing to do with being politically correct. Just because in the US they call it the holidays, does not mean that christmas does not exist anymore, it is still christmas. By telling somebody happy christmas, you are not asking them to become christians. You are just wishing them well in a christian manner.

16. rafken profile image78
    rafkenposted 13 years ago

Is political correctness a joke? Who decides what is politically correct? read more

17. dragonlady1967 profile image68
    dragonlady1967posted 13 years ago

I have never been "politically Correct"....so it will always be "Merry Christmas".   The calender does not read...Happy Holiday Day...it reads Christmas.  If someone is offended...oh well.  It doesn't take away my spirit and joy for the holiday.  If I do happen to say "Happy Holidays" which is rare, it is usually including New Years Day in the comment.

18. lindacee profile image86
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

It depends who I am talking to. It's not being overly PC (because I definitely think our society has gone too far in that regard,) it is just being conscious of the fact that not everyone is Christmas-centric. I have always used "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings".  However, it doesn't bother or offend me if someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas", Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Kwanzaa" or whatever.

19. Dr Ken Romeo profile image61
    Dr Ken Romeoposted 13 years ago

Last year in December we held a chapter meeting of the American Chemical Society at a university near where I live. As a dedicated member of the ACS for years, I attended and wished everyone a Merry Christmas.
    Then I was informed that I could no longer wish anyone a “Merry Christmas.” Instead, I would have to wish people a “Happy Holiday” lest I offend someone.
    This is the state of our university teachers today.
    Christmas is Christmas.
    Since I don't need the ACS to practice medicine, I cancelled my membership this year.
    And I say to all of you…Merry Christmas!

20. Marcus Teague profile image60
    Marcus Teagueposted 13 years ago

"Happy Holidays" was invented to "replace" "Merry Christmas" because some believe it's considered offensive to be partial to the Christmas celebration, and then omit Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Year's, even Thanksgiving. In order not to offend someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas or want to recognize the Christianized part of the holiday, you just include them all with "Happy Holidays".

The real big question is, who's offended? The answer is strictly only those people who think others are offended (or very minor extremist groups). The [neutral-as-possible] people who make the accusations that it might be offensive are the only parties involved.

It might be just because of where I live, but saying "Merry Christmas" around the DFW area makes things bright, even excited. Christmas has some roots in Christianity, but it's a world-wide celebrated holiday, from the Middle East to Japan, across the Americas and Europe.

21. profile image61
    marathongeposted 13 years ago

I say Merry Christmas. This "happy holidays " statement is only used in the United States and no where else in the world.

22. pisethz profile image61
    pisethzposted 13 years ago

"Merry Christmas" should be saying during this long holiday season with adding "and Happy Holidays!"

23. Freeway Flyer profile image82
    Freeway Flyerposted 13 years ago

Come to think of it, I don't really say either one, and I don't care which one people say to me. I've also never met anyone who made it into an issue. I wonder if our nation's so-called obsession with political correctness actually exists, or do we have a lot of controversies stirred up by a small minority of the population? Coming up with the right phrase may be a solution looking for a problem.

24. Judicastro profile image61
    Judicastroposted 13 years ago

I say Merry Christmas with all the gusto and cheer I can give!  Last year we drove from S. Georgia to Jacksonville, Fl to have Christmas dinner at a hotel with our daughter who lives there in JAX.  The hotel was filled with Muslims and it was too cute because everyone that we crossed paths with wished a Merry Christmas and I wished them the same.  The ones that scream that they are offended are a small minority, but non the less they scream.  The old adage applies here, "the squeeky wheel....."  Merry Christmas btw!

25. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 13 years ago

I think your question is primarily concerned with how we not offend others.  While I mean no offense, this year I have a hard time saying either, 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays', mainly because I've discovered the roots of Christmas ~ Jesus was born in September, and the customs of Christmas have pagan origins.  For this reason, the month of December, once celebrated as the Winter Solstice with all its pagan traditions, I cannot view as 'holy days' (holidays) either.  So, I rather say, "Enjoy the love of friends and family", for that is the wonderful thing I recognize and celebrate at this time of year.  This way I am true to my heart and do not offend others either, no matter what their beliefs.  Love is the language that brings us together, and God is love.

26. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 13 years ago

I usually say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I hope I don't offend anyone, but it has never been a problem.  If someone corrected me, I may think twice about wishing them anything.

27. renee21 profile image78
    renee21posted 11 years ago

I always say Merry Christmas!  Christ is a part of Christmas.  I never want to take Him out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)