jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

Do you like someone to say, "Happy holidays," or "Merry Christmas?" Why?

1. bayareagreatthing profile image66
    bayareagreatthingposted 6 years ago

Do you like someone to say, "Happy holidays," or "Merry Christmas?" Why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5927254_f260.jpg

2. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

I like to hear "Merry Christmas" or prefixing  any festival by name by the proper adjective. It gives me more satisfaction.

3. xXRaelliaXx profile image58
    xXRaelliaXxposted 6 years ago

Happy Holidays as it's non-discriminatory in my opinion.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

The modern festival is Christmas so it should be termed, Merry Christmas.  Happy holidays is just a pathetic cow-towing to all those precious politically corect wimps

5. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 6 years ago

Merry Christmas.....why?   Because Christmas is about Christ.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

Merry Christmas is my favorite. it's part of my countries tradition and to me changing it , means changing my country.

7. possum lover profile image57
    possum loverposted 6 years ago

Always Merry Christmas, and I'd like to make a friendly suggestion to everyone to visit this lost hub - http://theholestory.hubpages.com/hub/The-Word-Christmas  It's worth the time.

8. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

I prefer Happy Holidays because it is more inclusive rather than exclusive.  The spirit of the season is to be festive.  Since there are many winter holidays, I prefer to include them all, Kwanzaa, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's, Winter Solstice, any Muslim holidays, whatever anyone else celebrates, and the December birthdays!

9. furniturestorenyc profile image62
    furniturestorenycposted 6 years ago

being who not celebrating christmas, i still love christmas songs.  if  someone told me marry christmas,  i have no problem with that, but myself, i try to say:  happy holidays, 

and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all of you.!!

10. TUCKER1938 profile image53
    TUCKER1938posted 6 years ago

The word holiday comes from the term HOLY DAY, and Christmas comes from the term CHRIST MASS, so either one would be appropriate. However, I prefer Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year. After all, it is Jesus Christ's Birthday we are celebrating. If we are grateful to God for the great gift He gave us, so we exchange gifts in honor of Gods great love and mercy. Even if Dec. 25th the actual date of the birth of our Savior,  not knowing the correct date, it is appropriate to set aside a day to glorify God, and honor His Son for His sacrifice.isn't

11. Nancy Owens profile image97
    Nancy Owensposted 6 years ago

I prefer Merry Christmas because that is the tradition I grew up with. If I don't know people well, I try to remember to say Happy Holidays just in case that particular person doesn't celebrate Christmas in the same way I do.

12. Jewelz1313 profile image79
    Jewelz1313posted 6 years ago

I will say Merry Christmas. Even though where I work told us not to do so. I actually just a couple of days ago wrote a hub about it.
    http://jewelz1313.hubpages.com/hub/Merr … y-Holidays

13. doubleklm profile image83
    doubleklmposted 6 years ago

Being a Catholic, Merry Christmas is how I greet everyone and how i want to be greeted. That's the holiday that I celebrate in December, Christmas.

14. profile image0
    alazani67posted 6 years ago

Happy Holidays, because Christmas is only once a year.

15. toys-everywhere profile image59
    toys-everywhereposted 6 years ago

Merry Christmas...I guess it just sounds more friendly, intimate. I feel like one would say, "Happy Holidays" to a coworker or... someone like the president. It feels uncomfortable.

working