jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should a groomsman or best man have to pay for his own tuxedo?

1. badegg profile image78
    badeggposted 6 years ago

Should a groomsman or best man have to pay for his own tuxedo?

If you are asked to be in a wedding party as a groomsman or a best man, shouldn't the bride and groom pay for all of the tuxedos and bridesmaid dresses?

2. Sinea Pies profile image77
    Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago

Hmm. It would be nice if he didn't have to. Unfortunately, weddings are so expensive that most often he probably does unless the Tux shop offers a deal. If they do, though, it's probably for the groom.

3. Lenzy profile image81
    Lenzyposted 6 years ago

The groomsman or best man should definately pay for his own tuxedo. If you think about the cost factor involved, the bride and groom would probably have to fork out an extra $1,000 to $2,000 minimum for the garments that you keep, or rent in the case of the tuxedos. Part of the normal responsibility of being in the wedding party is paying for those expenses. Unless the couple is loaded or their parents are and offer to pay for them, I would expect to pay out the cash.

4. Daxman profile image60
    Daxmanposted 6 years ago

I don't think he should pay for his own tux. The reason is that you asked him to do you the honor of being your best man so i see it as your responsability to provide the things necessary for him to be able to perform his duty.

5. okaygrace profile image61
    okaygraceposted 6 years ago

The whole point of being a best man or groomsman is that you are doing something for a friend/family member that you care about. All you have to do is rent a tux and stand there so I don't think it is much to ask of someone that you care about.

Usually the bride/groom give gifts to everyone in the wedding party and also take them out to dinner on the day of the rehearsal, which is their way of saying thank you for doing your part.