jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why add a "leap day" to a dreary month like February instead of a warm summer mo

1. petenali profile image86
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

Why add a "leap day" to a dreary month like February instead of a warm summer month.  Cruel joke?

I personally could easily handle an additional day in summer, but to stretch out a cold and dull and blah month like February seems to be somebody being deliberately cruel to the world...

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I actually just wrote a leap day hub with the history and whatnot that explains why.  In a nutshell it was designed this way because of the timing of the vernal equinox

3. Rejected Reality profile image61
    Rejected Realityposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6249289_f260.jpg

I agree, February is too long already and what's with that extra "R"?  It is unclear exactly why February is short. Some say because there was an unpleasant religious observance associated with that month. Nonetheless it was the shortest month before Julius Caesar fooled around with the calendar. When leap year was needed it was decided to add it back to the shortest month, February. At the time, February was the last month in the religious year, so it was decided to add the leap day onto the last month of the year. I am thankful for the extra day because it gives me extra time to reflect on how unproductive I am with extra time.

Thirty days hath September,
    April, June, and November,
    February has twenty-eight alone,
    All the rest have thirty-one;
    Excepting leap year, that 's the time
    When February's days are twenty-nine;
    And though the winter months seem to forever last,
    Tonight at twelve, February too shall pass!

4. moonfairy profile image79
    moonfairyposted 5 years ago

lol...I agree as I sit here in the midst of a February 29th snowstorm!!! Give me 32 days in July instead smile

5. okaygrace profile image60
    okaygraceposted 5 years ago

if you lived in the southern hemisphere then it is summertime tongue

working