Is there someone special you honor on Memorial Day and if so who and why?

1. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Is there someone special you honor on Memorial Day and if so who and why?

For me it's my dad who was not only a great war hero for his service, but the greatest dad that walks the planet.

Thank you dad for fighting for this wonderful country in which we live and the rights that we have been given  as a result. Your dedication and service along with medals of honor  just go to show the world what an incredible person you were, and will always be in my heart.  Know that I will miss you and love you everyday until we are together again.....Always and forever your baby girl

2. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

I have several family members who served in the military, including my dear brother. A couple died fighting for our country.  It is a great day to remember the people who give so much so that we can remain free.

3. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

First, of course, I think of my late father who was a WWII Vet (but who did return home and get to have and raise a family).  Also, though, I think of all those who didn't return home alive.  One reason, in particular, is that my mothers was married before she met my father.  She and her young husband had no children, but he was killed during the war.  Even though she didn't talk about it all the time, I knew the impact it had had on her; and I'd hear her sisters and her mentioning how awful it had been when he was killed.  She loved my mother, and they had a good marriage; still, there was a kind of cloud lingering over my mother in some ways.  It showed up in her wistfulness when she talked about him, and it showed up when she talked about the horror of losing him.  Theirs was just one story.  There were so many more, being that close to that one story made it all seem that much more real to me, I think.  My mother is now gone, but I think of her young husband on Memorial Day (for her, I guess - or else because I know that if he hadn't been killed my three siblings and my parents' six grandchildren and my niece's four children would never have existed.  That's a kind of strange thing to think about, I guess.  Guess I don't want that young Marine forgotten for a few different reasons.