jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

Do you always cook a traditional Christmas dinner or have you an alternative?

1. samnashy profile image81
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

Do you always cook a traditional Christmas dinner or have you an alternative?

2. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 5 years ago

I always cook a traditional Christmas dinner which is a huge stuffed (two kinds of stuffings) turkey - a free range bird if I can get one.  We have oven baked leeks in a cheese sauce, we have Brussels sprouts tossed in butter and sesame seeds, we have braised red cabbage and apples, we have mashed potatoes and roast potatoes, cranberry jelly and loads of gravy. I might make a baked celerry dish too.

After this we have Christmas Pudding with brandy butter and whipped cream.

We have crackers and wear party hats and there is cranberry juice to drink as well as champage or wine.

Oh it is sooooooooo good.!  It's our annual feast and it is a FEAST.

samnashyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good lady, that certainly does sound a feast.  I can imagine you must have a full house.

2. Lizam1 profile image82
      Lizam1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sounds lovely.  I'm hungry:-)

3. Relationshipc profile image88
    Relationshipcposted 5 years ago

Always the same. If anything changes the people get angry. lol. Our staples are cabbage rolls, perogies, mushrooms in sour cream, salad of gold, potatoes and stuffing balls. There is some meat in there too, but I'm a vegetarian so that's not really included in my meal.

Sounds delicious and you dont't even eat meat.

4. BSloan profile image74
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

Coming from a latin family, we cook the same thing every year.  On Christmas Eve we cook roast pork, white rice, black beans, yuca, avocado salad, plantains, and cuban bread.  On Christmas day we cook a spiral ham with trays of appetizers for everyone who stops by to visit.

Delicious, I love the sound of that especially the idea of dropping by for appetizers. A lovely idea.

5. innerspin profile image90
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

We usually have a traditional Christmas dinner. Roast turkey, roast pork, chippolata sausage wrapped in bacon, sage and onion stuffing, broccoli, carrots, peas,yorkshire pudding, cranberry sauce, apple sauce, gravy. Then we sit back, groan a little, stagger from the table and fall asleep. Nobody can handle the mince pies until much later.

1. innerspin profile image90
      innerspinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oops, forgot the roast pototoes, I better not do that on the day!

2. samnashy profile image81

Now that sound a familiar scenario.  Not from the UK by anychamce?

6. anglnwu profile image91
    anglnwuposted 5 years ago

As a transplant, I bring my own take when preparing the Christmas dinner. Sure, I'll have the usual fare--turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce but you'll also find egg rolls, curry and Chinese stir-fries. I try to include at least one surprise dish each year.  Most of my guests are from my country, so they actually appreciate that--a time to indulge in our favorite foods without sacrificing all the staples of Christmas food.

Well that sounds as though you've some pretty good replacements. Variety is the spice of life. I love Asian food.

7. trusouldj profile image82
    trusouldjposted 5 years ago

There are just six of us.  Me, my wife and my four boys.  The only thing that we're guaranteed to have is Egg pie, maybe sweet potato pie.  Everything else is up for grabs.  The kids love Spinach Manicotti. 

Then on Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas, we'll go to my mom's house where the dinner would be more traditional.

Egg pie?  Never heard of that one. Is that a family tradition?

8. talfonso profile image83
    talfonsoposted 5 years ago

I don't cook a complete Christmas dinner, but I cook something for a potluck party. Back when I was a kid, my relatives used to throw parties at home with home-cooked meals, but nowadays we'd throw potlucks because relatives can bring their own favorite dish and take most of the stress off the host! Great for busy lives!

What a great idea.

9. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 4 years ago

This year I am hosting for Christmas Eve and visiting friends on Christmas Day.  I am cooking a wild Salmon for Christmas Eve.  Over the years we have created our own traditional foods, including snowman bread:-)

working