jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do you make Christmas decorations/ornaments each year?

1. Ronna Pennington profile image82
    Ronna Penningtonposted 5 years ago

Do you make Christmas decorations/ornaments each year?

If so, what do you make?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Hand written Christmas cards for all of my friends, family, and professors. The decorations I redo every few years. I donate the old weaths, go to Michaels, purchase new items, then put them together at home.

1. housexpert profile image60
      housexpertposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jeeez, hand writing! What is that? I tried to do it the other day. Put my signature to something. It was just scribble. Going the same way as the English language. Thanks for the alternatives to that! I like the donating part tho. Send to Blind River

3. GreenMathDr profile image73
    GreenMathDrposted 5 years ago

No, I'm boring same old decorations stored in a box that is taken out once a year. Occasionally a string of popcorn or something my Grandmother used to do, but mostly the same old decorations. Oh and sometimes some new solar Christmas lights because they are quick and easy, but nothing drastically new.

1. housexpert profile image60
      housexpertposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds pretty darn exciting to me. The popcorn thing though. I hope that you haven't kept it around since your grandmother .. because they do now have some christmas colored stuff that you can "pop". Try to get to the stringing before you eat it all.

2. GreenMathDr profile image73
      GreenMathDrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No the popcorn thing is fresh each year.  50 year old popcorn would be different though.  I didn't know about the colored popcorn though - this is getting exciting.  You always have to make more than you need to allow for collateral damage.

4. housexpert profile image60
    housexpertposted 5 years ago

The last few Christmas's I have taken to turning my pets (3 cats) into ornaments. Freaks out the neighbours and the grandkids. But at least I don't have to throw them out, or donate them, when I am finished with the celebrations. Also, I was getting tired of placing the tree in the light (solar lights) and of setting the tree back up every time the cats got over excited. You have a Happy Holiday Season DHL

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, not usually.  But I have been hub-hopping gathering easy to make ornaments to share with my grandchildren.

We are going to use Scrabble tiles and paint a strip of chipboard, glue the tiles down (holiday words, Joy, Noel, Jesus etc.)  and add a ribbon.  The photo I saw was very cute.

Also got some styrofoam balls and will cover them with torn pieces of tissue paper, modpodge, add a ribbon and there you go. 

They are not fancy but something a kid can do and that's what is important at this point.

working