jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What is better - meaningless gift or no gift at all?

1. Veroniquebee profile image73
    Veroniquebeeposted 5 years ago

What is better - meaningless gift or no gift at all?

So, since Christmas are just outside the doors (according to the shops, Chrstmas are sometime in October, but aaaanyway), I've been itching to ask - what is better; gift you give someone just for the sake of some returning the favour (such as those not very useful porcelain elephants which tend to just collect dust on the shelf and are damn bother during cleaning), or just sincerely wishing someone happy holidays?

2. Alecia Murphy profile image77
    Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago

No gift at all. I hate junk gifts because I have to pretend I can use it and still thank the person. To me gifts are nice when they are truly thoughtful and from the heart but if you can't do that, then it's best to not get anyone a gift at all.

Veroniquebeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's true - sadly, sometimes I have the feeling that junk is all what people give each other, instead of banging their head against the wall while trying to figure THE perfect gift for someone.

3. kittythedreamer profile image99
    kittythedreamerposted 5 years ago

I agree with Alecia...no gift at all. Anything that is useless and thoughtless usually ends up at the thrift store the next day, hate to say it.

I myself do not give the gifts bak to anywhere - but it gets a bit awkward to keep those gifts in a box somewhere, only to pull them out when the gifter is about to visit. Definitely shows we should use our brains when picking gifts!

4. PA Grad Gal profile image82
    PA Grad Galposted 5 years ago

Just sincerely wishing someone happy holidays. I think sincerity means worlds more than a mindless gift.

Definitely. Sadly, sincerity as a gift is sadly underappreciated.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I feel that it's the thought that counts and am always grateful to receive a gift. That said, if someone who knows me intimately gives me a gift with obviously no thought behind it, it sends up a glaring red flag that something is amiss in our relationship.  The best gifts come from the heart: a thoughtful gesture, a charitable donation, a handmade treasure, homecooked meal, etc.

Now the homecooked meal as a gift definitely sounds like a nice suggestion, and one which definitely needs a lot of thinking behind that! Thanks for the idea!

6. Shyron E Shenko profile image83
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 5 years ago

Every gift has meaning, no matter how small.  If someone cares enough to give me a gift, then it means something to me!!!

I wasn't speaking about size of the gift, as I was speaking about the thoughts behind the gift. I know what you mean, and I agree with you - as long as people actually think before they give a gift, which sadly happens less and less I think sad

working