jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How many of YOU broke your New Year's resolution?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

How many of YOU broke your New Year's resolution?

2. Paul Maplesden profile image77
    Paul Maplesdenposted 5 years ago

I didn't, but that's mainly because I didn't make any. Although having a New Year's Resolution can work for some, I think it's better to make small changes in your habits over time, rather than try to make one or more big changes on an arbitrary date.

That way, you're making changes because you really want to, rather than trying to do too much and setting yourself up to fail.

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image80
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 5 years ago

I have to admit, like Paul, I didn't set any resolutions either. It's a great concept; acknowledging room for growth, improvement and/or implementing positives in our lives in the form of a goal is a terrific theory. But, when you struggle with insecurities and vulnerability like myself, and I'm sure many others, it just creates another stressor and sets some of us up for more feelings of failure and disappointment, adding to our already very apparent feelings of insecurity. Growth; personal, emotional, psychological, physical, professional, financial, etc., is something that I think about and maybe even dwell on, on a daily basis. These are things that I long to improve regularly. I guess I feel like, if I had the answers on January 1st how to accomplish these goals, than it is something I should have been working on in the year leading up to “resolution making” time. Trying to keep a goal can be stressful in itself, but realizing that we have failed the goal, the goal that we set ourselves, can be particularly damaging. With that being said kudos to those who set and achieve your goals. You must be stronger than me!

4. lupine profile image75
    lupineposted 5 years ago

I didn't make a resolution this year. "Can't break it, if you didn't make it!" It seems many didn't make one this year for some reason.