jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How early should you put up your Christmas lights?

1. dappledesigns profile image91
    dappledesignsposted 4 years ago

How early should you put up your Christmas lights?

2. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 4 years ago

I would wait at least until after Thanksgiving, or by Dec. 1st. It's the first week of November and one guy already put up all his lights, snowmen, santa, etc...come on!

3. jaydawg808 profile image89
    jaydawg808posted 4 years ago

I think it should be put up after Thanksgiving.  However, it's not a thing where you should adhere to a rule or standard.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I grew up with the tradition of putting up lights a few days after Thanksgiving. Today I see people who have not only have their lights up but also a decorated (tree)! Some of my neighbors do not take down their Christmas decorations until the first or second week of February!
    This past weekend I was in a Home Depot and there was Christmas music being played over the PA system. Macy's is going to be open on Thanksgiving for the first time in the history of it's existence!
    At the rate we'll going it won't be long before people start doing their Christmas decorating on the day after Halloween.

1. lupine profile image73
      lupineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

True, I was in Macy's 2 weeks ago, they were already playing Christmas music.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Some already do put up lights on November 1 in my area and Big Lot stores put out Christmas items in August. Our calandars could become quite confusing!

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Whenever your heart desires dear. Heck, if you want to, do it in October. smile

6. saitam profile image81
    saitamposted 4 years ago

It can depend on where you live, but if you feel in the Christmas mood, do it, it is fun.

In Portugal some people put them on the first sunday after the first of November (day of all saints), others say it should be put on the first day of December (It was a National Holiday for other reason).

I usually put them around one month before Christmas, when I feel in the Christmas mood.

working