jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people put up Christmas lights?

1. jravity1 profile image70
    jravity1posted 3 years ago

Why do people put up Christmas lights?

Why is it that people put up Christmas lights? Where did it start?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure where it started. However I believe we put up Christmas lights for the same reason that we enjoy watching fireworks. It gives us a good feeling or sense of wonderment to see colorful brightness light up the night. It brings out the "inner child" in most of us.
    Naturally some people are more "creative" than others. smile

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

Competition with their neighbors. smile They want to see who can out do who on Christmas.

4. Zelkiiro profile image95
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

It's likely just the natural extension of the tradition of decorating the house during Christmastime and the invention of electricity. Either that, or people liked the tradition of placing candles (and later, electric bulbs) on the tree that they wanted to spread that to the outside of their houses.

5. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

I can give you a historical answer or a spiritual answer. Perhaps others will give you the historical answer.

The outer beacon comes only because all is willed from the presence of the inner Beacon. One cannot do noble or happy things without some form of inner nudge or aspiration. This is the same today, as it will be tomorrow, and as it was yesterday also. Life itself is a search for Light. Much peace.

working