jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

1. Ashley CathcartM profile image70
    Ashley CathcartMposted 3 years ago

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Where I live, it is actually against the retail rules to wish someone a Merry Christmas. I use to say it anyways because it is my celebration and if someone wants to wish me a Happy Hannukah, I will thank them!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12009733_f260.jpg

2. Ghaaz B profile image80
    Ghaaz Bposted 3 years ago

I'm an atheist, but I'm pretty sure the holiday is called Christmas!

"Happy Holidays" just doesn't really mean anything to me.. "Merry Christmas" has meaning. It's my opinion that anyone who gets offended by either, though, is just being silly and intentionally confrontational.

1. jlpark profile image84
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

There are several holidays of alternate religions that coincide with Xmas - Hannukah, Yule, Kwanza etc. But I do agree with your last bit!

2. Ghaaz B profile image80
      Ghaaz Bposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're right about that! My mistake.

They may wish me a happy Hannukah, Yule, Kawnza, and anything else they like as well! Those also have meaning, even if not to me.

I was saying that "Happy Holidays" is too vague-- just say what you mean smile

3. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Doesn't bother me either way - Happy Holiday, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanza, Blessed Yule  - at least they were thinking nice things and wishing me well!.

I'm an agnostic atheist, and am not offended by any of them. I'm happy to be thought of in a way that someone would wish me happiness or 'merry-ness"

1. Ashley CathcartM profile image70
      Ashley CathcartMposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I love it when other people wish me their celebration.. In Canada its suppose to be multicultural and Happy Holidays doesnt have that ring.

4. liesl5858 profile image87
    liesl5858posted 3 years ago

I don't mind either Happy Christmas or Happy Holiday. I think it is nice to wish anyone a Happy Christmas or Happy Holiday. It is a nice way of greeting someone during this coming Christmas Season and New Year come to that.

working