jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Do you buy a decorate a Christmas Tree even if you are not a Christian?

1. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

Do you buy a decorate a Christmas Tree even if you are not a Christian?

I see eatery outlets and friends who are not Christians, decorate fake Christmas tree just for the joy. I admire them. Do you do the same?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image76
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

The eatery outlets will have Christians - and others who celebrate it, not only Christians do - as customers. So they most likely put the tree up for the customers.

Also, in the US it probably began as a tradition for this day many years ago. Since then there have been changes in religions and our people who live here.

peachpurpleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

i see, so maybe the owners are christians or majority of the customers are christians. Do you decorate the real or fake tree?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image76
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have a 24" fake tree since I live alone and maybe the only guests I would have are my brother and his girlfriend. Besides, the decorations are still packed somewhere from the last move.

3. peachpurple profile image82

So you didn't decorate the tree this year? I don't have one

4. The Examiner-1 profile image76

Not this year. The tree is in the closet and I could have made some simple decorations for it but Christmas sneaked up on me this year since I have been so busy.

5. peachpurple profile image82

yeah, too busy with your work eh? I prefer to watch those tall Xmas trees well decorated at shopping malls

6. The Examiner-1 profile image76

I do not go to malls anymore, I only go to Publix and WalMart. Maybe Home Depot.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 3 years ago

The Christmas tree is not a religious symbol at all.  I am quasi Christian and my husband is Roman Catholic and we do not put up a tree.  The main reasons for that is one..it is stored in the crawlspace and neigther of us loke t go under there.  The other one is we have cats...enuf said about that one!  We have a new kitty that we just adopted--actually left here and we just do not like the mess of getting everthing out and then putting it away.

I see that it is a big chore to put up and back while the cat is around too

2. Lady Guinevere profile image60
      Lady Guinevereposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Try 6 cats.  That is how many that I have and 5 live in the house most of the time.

3. peachpurple profile image82

gosh 6 cats will cause chaos in the house. No wonder you don't put up the Xmas tree

4. Nathanville profile image97
    Nathanvilleposted 3 years ago

Today, most people in Britain don’t celebrate Christmas for its religion but because it’s a festive tradition reinforced by also being a public holiday.

A large percentage of the British population is not religious (25.7%), compared to America where it’s only 15%.  And more striking, only 59% of Britain’s are Christians, compared to 73% in America (2011 and 2012 surveys).

Yet most Britain’s celebrate Christmas, including buying and decorating Christmas trees, just as much as anyone else. 

Years ago we bought a real Christmas tree rooted in a pot, which we keep in the garden and each Christmas bring into our conservatory for decorating; it’s now grown to about 5ft tall, and still growing slowly, its growth restricted by being potted.

yes, my mom in law said that christmas tree can't grow any taller if grow in a pot compare to grow in the garden

5. Michaela Osiecki profile image77
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

I have a "holiday" tree. The idea of decorating trees for the winter solstice or Yule (particularly pine trees) dates back to Pagan times. In fact, it didn't even become a tradition to have a decorated tree indoors in the United States until the late 1800's.

working