jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

How do you celebrate St. Patricks' Day? Do you have fun?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

How do you celebrate St. Patricks' Day? Do you have fun?

Some people really get into St. Paddy's Day - and it's a big holiday in some cities and towns! What happens where you live?

2. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 3 years ago

Savannah always has a great St. Paddy's day, Marcy. Lots of music and green beer, of course. They once dyed the river green every year to celebrate the day but I've heard they no longer are allowed this because some thought it hurt the sea life.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
      Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Savannah's celebration is the 3rd largest in US, only behind NY and Boston!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

There are no St. Patrick's day events happening in my town that I'm aware of. My wife usually makes some corned beef/cabbage, and naturally some beers are consumed. That's about it.

4. bravewarrior profile image91
    bravewarriorposted 3 years ago

The bars in my area really get into St. Paddy's Day, especially the Irish bars. I've never celebrated it, although I'm part Irish. Shoot, half the time I forget to wear something green!

It's amazing how people will take an ethnic tradition and turn it into an excuse to party. Just like Cinco de Mayo. Americans come out in droves to celebrate and more than likely have no idea what they're celebrating!

5. ForLoveofCupcakes profile image86
    ForLoveofCupcakesposted 3 years ago

WE have a GREAT time celebrating St. Patrick's Day!  We watch The Quiet Man and make a night of it.  I wrote a whole hub on our celebration: http://forloveofcupcakes.hubpages.com/h … tricks-Day

- Jamie

6. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

our country doesn't celebrate st patrick's day, so no fun , just day goes by as usual

7. Sparklea profile image74
    Sparkleaposted 3 years ago

Hi Marcy;  I am of German descent (maiden name is Nagle); so about the only thing I do is, if I remember, wear green and send cards to the grand kids which I have not done this past year.  At the end of March we have my husband's brother and family for dinner to celebrate his birthday, and I usually add shamrock type decorations as a centerpiece.
    However, I DO have two very close friends who are Irish.  My best friend, Jackie, has six grown children, and 14 grandchildren...and they had a HUGE family party at one of her daughters houses.  I would say about 40-45 people attend, so they spend a lot of time preparing food and decorations and they all dress festively. 
    My other Irish friend is a member of the Hibernians and she marches in the parade in our area every year and she also goes to a restaurant with friends to celebrate.
    So even though I do not actually 'celebrate' this special day, I feel "exposed" to it because of the close contact with my two friends who always share with me what a good time they had. 
    Thanks for this great question.  Sparklea smile

8. MHiggins profile image91
    MHigginsposted 3 years ago

I don't do much these days because I usually have to work.  In years past my cousin and her family used to come over and we would have dinner.  The catch is that all of the food had to be green.  (By the way, you can't turn ham green.  It just turns a gray color!)
         We would also wear green clothes as well.  The more eccentric, the better!  We would play games as well.
         That cousin passed away and I have moved since but it is a great memory!