jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is St. Patrick's day celebrated where you live?

1. Goody5 profile image68
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Is St. Patrick's day celebrated where you live?

It's apparent that St. Patrick's day is celebrated with much more enthusiasm in the Northern United States, then it's celebrated in the Southern United States. Has anyone noticed this, and what's the reason for this?

2. LCDWriter profile image94
    LCDWriterposted 5 years ago

Savannah GA has one of the biggest St. Pat's parties.  So I don't think that is true at all.  I've lived in the south all my life and it's always been a big to-do.

3. AussieTreeChange profile image75
    AussieTreeChangeposted 5 years ago

I am not sure about the US as I am in Australia, but it certainly is celebrated all over Australia in a HUGE way!   there is "green" everywhere!   People dress up and the pubs overflow with crowds!  It is a fun day.

4. Annie Miller profile image76
    Annie Millerposted 5 years ago

I live in Wichita Falls, Texas where one of the most popular establishments is the Iron Horse (Irish) pub - owned & operated by a transplanted Irishman. We have a huge downtown street to do for St Paddy's Day!

5. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 5 years ago

I live in Maryland in the U.S., and we are not quite south and not quite north.  Most bars and restaurants happily embrace St. Patrick's Day by adding green food coloring to all food and beverages.  In Baltimore, most folks just make a point to go out and party for the celebration.  Philadelphia is known for their St. Patrick's Day celebrations, but they are our neighbors so we can easily visit them for parades.

6. steveso profile image78
    stevesoposted 5 years ago

I live in Penang, Malaysia and St. Patrick's Day is celebrated big time in the Pubs and Clubs here by both expats and locals. However the locals haven't got a clue to what St. Patrick's Day is, just like Halloween. It's just another excuse to sell more alcohol  and make more money.

7. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

Everywhere Paddy goes, his day goes with him. He's a well-travelled fellow, is Paddy. Welsh-born, taken as a slave by Irish pirates, escaped and went back as a Christian missionary. Some guts, that's why they celebrate his day with gusto everywhere from S. Francisco to New York and Boston to here. There are enough Irish pubs in London to cater for Paddy's mates, and the big brewery and pub chains get in on the act as well. Try stopping Paddy celebrate, it's like standing in front of a steam roller!

working