Are holidays like Mother's Day or Father's Day hard for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

Are holidays like Mother's Day or Father's Day hard for you?

Some people get sad on those holidays - what are ways to handle the sadness or avoid it?

2. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

Marcy.....Most "Holidays" have a tendency to stir many emotions in us, to include sadness in some cases.  Mother's Day and Father's Day, once our parents are no longer with us, can start out with a dark cloud or heavy heart, simply because we miss them and wish so much to see them once again.  Our mind travels back in time to all the many years we did have with them and the happiness & bond we shared.

How we may handle this is so different for each of us.  It seems I always manage to pull out the family photo albums and turn each page of a different memory that makes me smile & reconfirm how blessed we were to have one another.  I may even say something aloud in hopes they'll hear me.  Maybe I will have a good cry & get it all out......dry my eyes & proceed to enjoy the day & celebrate with my loved ones.  This is surely what my parents would want us to do.......Happy Mother's Day to you, Marcy.......Peace, Paula

1. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

What a BEAUTIFUL answer, Paula.

2. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Grace.  I appreciate this.

3. Kristen Howe profile image90
    Kristen Howeposted 3 years ago

Yes. Since it's been a year since my mother died. Last year was real rough. And today I' doing okay and thinking about my mom.As for Father's Day, I'm glad I've reconnnected with my father 3 years ago, since we've been estranged for many years. It wasn't real hard for me, since my grandfather filled in the void until he passed away a decade ago.

4. Sparklea profile image73
    Sparkleaposted 3 years ago

Marcy Mother's Day is the WORST DAY EVER for me.  There is NO escape.  Billboards, radio, signs in all the stores at the mall, the commercials on television drive me up a wall.  The week before Mother's Day my stomach goes into knots and I have crying spells.
    I hardly knew my biological mom...and she died around age 52 of cancer of the larynx. 
    I was raised by my grandmother because my mom had abandoned my sister at I at age 2.  Our dad's parents adopted us and they became 'mom and dad.'  Our grandmother died on our 16th birthday of a massive stroke...we never were able to enjoy turning 16. Lost our biological dad at age 11.  Devastating.
    Worst of all, my grown son has not entered our home for 14 years.  There was a bad fallout the Christmas of 9/11.  Long story, but before that happened, he came here all smiles every mom's day and brought me a gift and spent some time with me.  All that is gone...his last two born children we heard about or read in the paper.  His kids barely know us.  He has a son 18 who will graduate next month. Horrible wasted years of not ever getting to know his 3 sons and a Chinese girl they adopted.  This is a horrible tragedy.  Unfixable. 
    Today I got a text 'happy mothers day hope you have a wonderful day, love you.'  That is it most years.  Sometimes nothing. 

Our daughter loves me so much. 

Let me tell you the guilt, despair, and SILENCE has been so loud in my heart and soul.  What digs in my gut the most is that he DID love me...Now Dates set to meet for lunch are always cancelled or the invite never acknowledged.  NEVER a thank you for the cards, gifts and notes I have sent to him, his wife or kids. 

To all grown kids who are estranged from their parents here is my message: 

You may be the most wonderful parents in the world and raised terrific adult children.  But you are TERRIBLE children to your parents to break their hearts like this, especially on Mother's Day and Father's day.  To be loved by so many but ignored by a grown child is the worst hell in the world.  That one soul I gave birth to and loved...I have no words.  Thank you for this question so that I could vent  Sparklea

1. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Spark...My heart breaks 4 U. Just want to say, "NOTHING is irreparable when it comes to our own blood."  Pls. stay hopeful. A text is not much but it IS acknowledgement.  Stay strong. Where's my magic wand?  sad

2. Sparklea profile image73
      Sparkleaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU PAULA, NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY JUST VENTING.
      You are so very kind.  I have that Red Sea Prayer list and he is on it...YOU are also on my prayer list per your request...every single day.  Blessings, Sparklea smile

5. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

My mother was not a nice person, so I feel uncomfortable seeing so much "all moms are great" propaganda on Mother's Day. Yes, some moms are great, but mine wasn't. There are a lot of folks in my boat, including two of my best friends: they may be good moms themselves, but their own mothers were bad enough to warrant exclusion from their daughters' adult lives.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)