jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Do you give your animals gifts for the holidays?

1. cherylone profile image94
    cheryloneposted 2 years ago

Do you give your animals gifts for the holidays?

I have cats, and on holidays like Thanksgiving I give them cat nip and a new toy.  I was wondering if others did as well.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12054793_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Of course! Our dog has his own Christmas stocking with his name on it and my kids fill it with dog treats, rawhide bones, etc.

cheryloneposted 2 years agoin reply to this

When it comes to holiday gift giving I think dogs are a little easier to work with, but I still love my cats.

3. Kryssy OSullivan profile image89
    Kryssy OSullivanposted 2 years ago

I do.
    I've had cats who just don't care, and I've had dogs who get jealous acting when someone receives something, just anything. I just figured to give my pets gifts, because they do have emotions too.
    And the cats who seem to not care, they and their gift cannot be found for a few hours afterwards. So I'm sure they enjoy them. smile

I get the same response sometimes, silly cats, but can't help but love them.

4. SpiritusShepherd profile image61
    SpiritusShepherdposted 2 years ago

I consider my dog my first son. We will be getting a Christmas stocking for him, and will probably put new toys and special treats inside.

We stopped using the stockings because the cats could smell the cat nip toys and would tear them down way before the holiday.  Now we keep them in a closet until it's time.

5. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

My "Toby" (canine) and "Tommy 2" (feline) are very spoiled fur babies 7 days of the week.  They have toys and treats and the run of the house.  We interact and have play time at least once or twice a day and get their share of love and affection.  We all sleep together & cuddle
    Therefore, I don't feel it necessary to do anything special for Holidays.  They're both quite smart, but certainly have no idea what one day is from the next!

Hi Paula, Though animals don't know one day from another, I often think they can feel the added excitement we exhibit during special days because they run around and try to get into the middle of all the activity-thus the gifts LOL

2. fpherj48 profile image75
      fpherj48posted 2 years agoin reply to this

You have a valid point!  Tommy goes completely crazy jumping around and playing with the wrapping paper, ribbons and empty boxes!!  He;s hilarious!

6. RTalloni profile image89
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

We've known people who have enjoyed this, but we just smiled and didn't think much about it.  Now, this q&a has caused me to think about how gift giving is as much about our enjoyment of it as it is in letting others, or pets–at least in our own minds smile, know that we care about them.

l'm glad to hear that.  Animals are so much a part of our lives.  And they give us unconditional love.

working