jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Has Business been responsible for converting Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image96
    TessSchlesingerposted 15 months ago

Has Business been responsible for converting Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays?

Merry Christams, Happy Holidays or Good Yomtov are all simple wishes of goodwill towards one during the holiday period, so why the upset by some?

Business has to caters to a variety of clients  - Jews, Christians, African Americans, etc.  They all have holidays during this period, and it would be expensive to do them all individually, so they simply chose to cover all evenutalities under one banner 'Happy Holidays."

I have no issue with this. Why does anyone else?

2. lisavollrath profile image98
    lisavollrathposted 15 months ago

Since the usual objection is that Happy Holidays has taken the Christ out of Christmas, I assume it's because Christians aren't aware, or don't care, that there are many religious celebrations taking place during the month of December.

Ashura, the Feast of St. Nicholas, Bodhi Day, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hanukkah, Yule, Christmas, and Kwanzaa all occur in December. In our diverse society, to assume that "Merry Christmas" covers everyone is simply narrow-minded.

I don't mind if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, or a Blessed Yule, or a Happy Hanukkah, if that's what they celebrate, and am perfectly happy when I hear Happy Holidays, because that includes everyone.

I think this is just another case of Christians trying to make everything all about them...

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Took the words right out of my mouth.  So much this!

2. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 15 months agoin reply to this

This started when poltical correctness started.

3. lisavollrath profile image98
      lisavollrathposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Political correctness is the a derogatory term for those who do not think the world revolves around themselves. Not wanting to exclude others with the language you use should be considered a good thing.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 15 months ago

With pun intended I am aghast! Happy Holiday is wrong with any day of celebration. That means a personal holiday from work too. After all the etymology points out it arrived from the old English 'haligdæg'. Its meaning is "holy day, consecrated day, religious anniversary; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dæg "day" But, that does not answer the question.

The Happy Holidays phenomena becoming socially (Politically?) correct is recent to the last decade in the U.S. Why? Secularism . . . long discussion. Anyway . . . there were three social forces at play for correctness to become socially acceptable. In chronicle order those forces are:

Government with its agencies
    Public places and education that receive government funding
    And, then business

Next, is social folkway and mores, of which is transitioning today.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 15 months ago

Businesses are doing it in response to political / extreme groups' pressure.

Just Say "Merry Christmas"

We know it is a war on Christianity because no one is telling Jews to take Judaism out of Hanukah, and liberals outright celebrate Islam in Ramadan and demand accommodation of Muslim religious demands from foot washing baths in airports to Muslims refusing to handle alcohol as cashiers or taxi drivers.