Please help send a message about abuse in Fifty Shades of Grey.

Jump to Last Post 51-72 of 72 discussions (319 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

The new movies / sequels will come out eventually. How exciting is that?!
    Maybe we should prevent this eventuality from happening, MFC?
    But oh no we cannot.
    So why go on and on?
    People can make up their own minds?  Is it a free society or do we need censorship? Thats the question.

1. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This isn't about people making up their own minds; and I am getting really tired of explaining myself over and over again. I suggest reading some of the back comments that keep going on and on and on... And my apologies if it seems rude of me to take us back to the topic:

The hate-hype changing idea that also has the potential to keep niave FSoG fans safer:

Fans spread the message about the abuse in Fifty Shades and pass it around. This could be done in a concerted, humorous way (imagine a few smart but funny memes randomly being tossed around). Its just information as ‘harmless’ as these books & movies - that also happens to have the potential to help protect fans and STOP the misogyinistic bullying across the globe (and possibly bring good publicity into the mix).

There are lots of articles on the subject out there - it shouldn't be too hard for you to find the things that need to be said and heard. I have an example in my spotlight article and there are other resources.

The only tip I have - is make sure that every graphic has a clear indicator that it is a fan-generated thing; and not more hater-hype. A website (or page like on a fansite) could be enough of an indicator - plus give the information a source so that fans get credit for it.

For instance, imagine a 'meme' - a scene from the 1st movie that perhaps demonstrates a splash of text in an 'overexaggerated' way.

I'm not familiar enough with 50 Shades to think of a SPECIFIC one - but, for example: Perhaps there is a scene where Mr. Grey is coming at Ana with a pain-inflicting implement and she has a funny, 'extra-terrifed' look on her face.

The caption could read, "If you're not turned on by your lover walking towards you with a bull whip - he might be an abuser."

That could even be 'the theme' for this meme campaign "he might be an abuser" - along the same lines of 'you might be a redneck if..."

A new one could come out every week or month - heck, a fansite could have a contest and choose the winners.

The entire world would breathe a sigh of relief over this issue.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Here is your assignment, if you choose to take it, MFC:

1. Design a meme which features a scene from the 1st movie.
    2. Demonstrate text in an overly exaggerated way. 
    3. Feature a scene where Mr. Gray is coming at Ana with a pain-inflicting implement.
    4. Reveal her terrified expression.
    5. Feature a caption which reads, "If you're not turned on by your significant-other as he/she approaches you with a bull-whip, he/she might be an abuser." (This is the theme for a meme campaign, "He might be an abuser" - along the same lines of, "You might be a redneck if…")
    6. A new meme will come out every week or month.
    7. Develop various fan-site contests to choose winners.
    8. Offer rewards to the winners.

How would you reward the winners, MFC?

*I* have already done my fair share of work regarding this subject and then some - and, I've already created my own graphic that I pass around. However, it is from my perspective, not theirs. If fans want things to change, they are the only ones who can change it - because THEY are the only ones who can send these messages out without the hate. Again, as you can see - fans don't take things from me very seriously. That happens because there are so many people out there insisting that everything is just fine.

The hype doesn't have to end, of course. It can keep going on and on like it does...

The hate-hype changing idea that also has the potential to keep niave FSoG fans safer:

Fans spread the message about the abuse in Fifty Shades and pass it around. This could be done in a concerted, humorous way (imagine a few smart but funny memes randomly being tossed around). Its just information as ‘harmless’ as these books & movies - that also happens to have the potential to help protect fans and STOP the misogyinistic bullying across the globe (and possibly bring good publicity into the mix).

There are lots of articles on the subject out there - it shouldn't be too hard for you to find the things that need to be said and heard. I have an example in my spotlight article and there are other resources.

The only tip I have - is make sure that every graphic has a clear indicator that it is a fan-generated thing; and not more hater-hype. A website (or page like on a fansite) could be enough of an indicator - plus give the information a source so that fans get credit for it.

For instance, imagine a 'meme' - a scene from the 1st movie that perhaps demonstrates a splash of text in an 'overexaggerated' way.

I'm not familiar enough with 50 Shades to think of a SPECIFIC one - but, for example: Perhaps there is a scene where Mr. Grey is coming at Ana with a pain-inflicting implement and she has a funny, 'extra-terrifed' look on her face.

The caption could read, "If you're not turned on by your lover walking towards you with a bull whip - he might be an abuser."

That could even be 'the theme' for this meme campaign "he might be an abuser" - along the same lines of 'you might be a redneck if..."

A new one could come out every week or month - heck, a fansite could have a contest and choose the winners.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Yay MEMEs!

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

… why, we could transform the world with MEME's !!!!!   Let's hold meme contests with graphics and captions to transform the terrorists for example!   Lets see, what kind of meme would help them realize what utter sillies they are? All that beheading and hanging and stuff!  My, my what a way to transform the world … Misfitchick, you are a genius!!!

IS THIS YOUR DOING, YOU SILLY TERRORIST!?   and show a bloody man hanging by his throat from a crane with his tongue all hanging out and stuff…
    Or
    HEADS ARE ROLLING AND ITS ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU WEIRDO TERRORIST!
    And have heads rolling down a hill all bloody with eyeballs all popping out and stuff ...

Thank you for being like the majority. I understand the flippant attitudes of people like you who are so sure that I am attacking free speech. Ignorance is bliss. I used to be ignorant surrounding this issue. Yeah, I wish I still was. I didn't ask for this bs!!

When I originally wrote this in the forum - I was expecting a conversation with actual fans; not from other people who seem to get off on the debate. What, are you getting sick of all the religious questions on HP? WHERE are the fans? If you're not a fan of FSoG, WHY are you in here?

No, I take some of the above back... When I originally wrote this, I was expecting to hear from people who were actually concerned about this subject and wanted to help. It turned toward fans more after I started being attacked by people like you (although the original idea for fans was already in place).

I guess I should not be so surprised, the same EXACT thing is true about The Twilight Saga. Actual fans (all ages) - of the series don't argue with me - they just send me emails asking for help with their accidental over-obsessions. It is the OLDER 'free speech is everything' ladies; and ANTI-FANS who have always sent me the most crap. I can only imagine that is because of Fifty Shades of Grey. It was a GREAT compromise for anti-twilight fans. Its all been so damn STUPID.

2. Rodeon profile image57
      Rodeonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hysterical.  Lol! lol

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

IF YOU ARE NOT TURNED ON BY THIS GUY(Gray) he MIGHT BE AN ABUSER!
    Photograph will feature Mr. Gray coming straight toward the viewer with handcuffs and a whip and a really evil facial expression.
    We shall certainly help the fans in this way.
    I really think you are onto something here, MFC!

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

H A Y !!!!!!! is for HORSES!!!!!!!!!
    IF YOU ARE NOT TURNED ON BY THIS GUY, he MIGHT BE AN ABUSER!
    Photograph will feature Mr. Gray coming straight toward the viewer with handcuffs and a whip and a really evil facial expression.
    We shall certainly help the fans in this way.
    I really think you are onto something here, MFC!

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

finis.

8. profile image0
    JG Hemlockposted 8 years ago

I never read it. I remember when I was in Texas when it came out...Sunday church ladies asked if I had read it. I had no clue what they were talking about. I asked if it was spiritual and one of the women said "Yes".........later when I heard what it was about I was shocked. What jerks they were. Anyhow I don't find nothing great about abuse or sexual abuse. People have become twisted.

When she said 'yes' - she was probably referring to the 'love story' part of the story which is considered to be as beautiful and powerful as the love of the actual God. I'm not joking. There are a lot of very niave women who have gotten wrapped up in these books (along with way too many young girls) - and not all of them are safely married with nothing to worry about. Yeah, it's sad and incredibly deceptive.

9. SinDelle profile image88
    SinDelleposted 8 years ago

This is absurd. I keep hearing how the book and movie 50 Shades of Grey are sending women’s rights back all these decades. I’ve even seen the r-word being thrown around. Here’s my thing: BDSM and dominance are not rape. Neither can occur without explicit consent. The definition of rape is that it is non-consensual. If there is consent, there is no rape. It is not rape or simply simply because it looks too rough for you or is rougher than you would appreciate. BDSM relationships and sex do not diminish the submissive partner either, because in truth the submissive is in charge of the entire interaction. Nothing occurs without her (or his!) consent. Nothing. Because of this, BDSM is not abuse. Any hysterical uproar is the result of people on the outside not understanding how that lifestyle actually works.

Now, undoubtedly the books and movies will entice a few “vanilla” women into trying the whole thing but most of them really just want something new, not something real. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Women are entitled to their fantasies – all of their fantasies, and labeling or judging these fantasies is not helpful or supportive of women. I am of the mind that gender equality means women have the choice to like or dislike whatever they choose, rather than have these things still be dictated by others as to what they should or should not be. In other words, if you have a problem with it, then don't do it but preaching at others crosses the line. Simple and fair.

There are plenty of men who enjoy being dominated as well, by the way. There are men who pay to be dominated. Where is the outcry? Does anyone even care? No, they don’t. It’s considered the man’s private business and that’s that. Why is it not the same for women? Why is a women’s sexuality still a matter of public scrutiny in the year 2015?

Thanks for the run into the ground opinion without reading - again. This obviously is not a topic you are interested in; and this befuddling, confusing information being up here doesn't hurt you. Back to the main topic:

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12965236.jpg

1. SinDelle profile image88
        SinDelleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's a topic I actually know quite a bit about - and you apparently don't. Begging your pardon, but you're making a fool of yourself, though you don't realize it.

Beyond that: It's a book. It's a movie. It isn't a real relationship, and even if it was... it's consensual. People choosing to commit crimes because they were inspired by a book or a movie is not new and not the fault of the book or movie.

Actually, I know quite a bit more about this subject than anyone wants to give me credit for, LoL! If you don't want to read the spotlight article to inform yourself regarding that - then don't. This 'you're wrong and I'm not' crap is getting tedious; especially when I'm on the side of fans, am NOT alone in this perspective, and DO KNOW what I'm talking about.

This would be one really good example of why:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca … story.html

There have been other lawsuits like this around the world. Do you think that we would be hearing more about those situations IF they are happening? It is difficult for most women to report abuse or rape. How much more difficult would it be for them - with the failed lawsuit in the link above; on top of Fifty Shades of Grey protestors saying, "I told you so." They have, they did - read some of the comments in the article above. And what about the young man in the news story? He COULD have been a ‘regular abuser’ and just used this movie as an excuse; BUT he could also REALLY have been ignorant – which is why the judge threw the case out. I mean, if the girl starts screaming – doesn’t that mean that she LIKES it?!!

Back to the main topic:

How much of the BDSM lifestyle or this type of thing have you actually participated in? I'm not a fan of the series itself. I read a bit of one and thought the writing was too bad to continue, frankly and the picture it presents of the BDSM lifestyle overall is silly and fantastical. But it's a story. It's not a documentary. It's not real.

More to the point: If someone uses this or any story as a justification for something they've done, the problem lies with them, not the story. That goes for ALL stories, no matter what they are about. I think this is the point you are missing in your zeal.

The whole story is within these comments that I refuse to continue repeating over and over - I'm sorry. You'll also find the entire story in my spotlight article. Aside from that, this would be one really good reason why:

There have been other lawsuits like this around the world. Do you think that we would be hearing more about those situations IF they are happening? It is difficult for most women to report abuse or rape. How much more difficult would it be for them - with the failed lawsuit in the link above; on top of Fifty Shades of Grey protestors saying, "I told you so." They have, they did - read some of the comments in the article above. And what about the young man in the news story? He COULD have been a ‘regular abuser’ and just used this movie as an excuse; BUT he could also REALLY have been ignorant – which is why the judge threw the case out. I mean, if the girl starts screaming – doesn’t that mean that she LIKES it?!!

Back to the main topic:

LOL. You say you refuse to repeat yourself and yet... that's all you keep doing. Enjoy your crusade.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

In Iran men rule.  True tyranny exists in this patriarchal society. Rape of women truly happens where  women have few rights. There is where the serious problem of tyranny-based rape lies. Are we headed there?????????

or being LEAD there through films like this?

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Are these people making money off of us and de sensitizing us to true love…
    or making it (true love) more clear? yikes

I hear that these two main characters actually end up getting married and having two kids!!!!! and that's how it all ends!
    Ana in the first movie, was willing because she loved Gray. But, when she discovered he did not have the ability to love her, she left. Obviously he did have the ability to love her on some level and probably changed his desires. In other words love transformed the beast in him it is probably a story similar to the beauty and the beast???? throw in a little sex and you got it! 

Its too much to discuss on a forum. it really is. So much of human sexuality is hidden kept private and secret… it is the darkness within us that seems to emanate from a place which is not even ours. and we know that.
    PS Fans are obviouslky not around here. so this is as good as it gets.

1. Rodeon profile image57
      Rodeonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This matrix is not totally worthless. Like the original film, it does provide some accelerated versions of learning and understanding.

12. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 8 years ago

First of all this book and movie are fiction.  If one can not educate children and women that this behavior is not acceptable in real life then the problem relies on the educators of these children/women and mainly their parents.  I have written books about a serial killer it is fiction, should everyone hook up with a serial killer because I made her seem so loveable.  Come on now authors write stories according to the audience they want to attract and I highly doubt the book and movie were to attract teenage girls because ultimately the parents are the ones who decide if it is okay to read or to watch.

1. Author Cheryl profile image81
      Author Cherylposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No please rant about my answer I will never know because I choose not to follow this question but seriously people its a book not a real life adventure.

1. Author Cheryl profile image81
        Author Cherylposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I meant now please

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

This would be one really good example of why:

This link barely applies to this subject - but, this is a really sad and recent gory story from my neck of the woods, Seattle. Stuff like this just KILLS me. I truly do not understand how so many of you can be so flippant about this subject.

This lady is a nurse who went to a baseball game with someone she met online - someone who seemed 'fine enough' to her to trust enough to go on a public date in a crowd with him - and look what happened to her. Her three kids have lost their mom. I'm willing to bet that 'romantic rape' was involved - at least up until a certain point.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new … ng-mother/

You're not the first person to have mentioned these things - and you are as 'off' as everyone else who insists on responding to this question like this. I'm not trying to 'stop' these books from coming out; nor do I think they need to be changed.

13. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

There is nothing in that story to suggest what happened to her prior to her murder so don't speculate to supplement your narrative.  It's very unbecoming.

Fine. I've already told you over and over again to stop arguing with me in here; and I don't think you entirely get why... It isn't just because I'm right about this stuff (which, I am); it is because I AM concerned about all the misogynistic bullying on top of the risks to misinformed, niave fans. Again, I am ON THE SIDE OF FANS from ALL directions. I hate the ugly debates - and the offline ones are just as bad as the online ones. When you continue to argue with me, this question stays at the top of HP - and it does not need to be there. As things are, it will remain there and not go away... it will just start to blend in with others that will come out. Has anyone scrolled down far enough to view some of the other articles on this topic? No, I am NOT the only person who is concerned about Fifty Shades of Grey; and those are old. New ones are coming for Darker and Freed.

Back to the main topic:

14. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

I'll breathe a sigh of relief when this damn thread stops popping up in my feed. I hit "unfollow" on it TWO weeks ago now.

I know, I'm sick of it, too - on a lot of topics. My inbox is piling. I think this is a recent development - I used to be able to unfollow stuff. Please fix this, HP.

15. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

No, you're concerned about being right and throwing that last article into it makes that abundantly clear.  I'm not going to keep my mouth shut when I think you've sensationalized a mother's murder to fit your agenda - it's gross.

And if you were really sick of this popping up repeatedly you would stop ranting away.  You have the power to stop replying, too.

I could stop - except that I believe in my perspective as passionately as you do yours; and I've been fighting for it a hell of a lot longer. The reasons you keep fighting me are moot because they don't exist - you simply believe that they exist.

I am NOT 'anti-free speech'; and I AM a celebrator of the creative process - which is why I have said, I do not blame either amateur author NOR the fans for what has happened. I AM on the side of fans whether you want to believe that or not.

Stop insisting that I'm something I'm not. Its infuriating, and it is why I keep responding.

Allow me to explain better, and I hope to God this ends this part of the discussion.

I know it seems like I am really angry with EL James and Stephenie Meyer - and, I am. But not for the reasons that you think. What amateur author would not have been THRILLED at the prospect of having their manuscript professionally published. I am angry at them because they refuse to listen to people across the globe - many of them fans or former fans.

I've said this: "An anti-Twilight concession: Anything is 'Okay' in fiction (which is why people originally brushed Twilight's literary errors off) - but, when it results in harmful blockbuster fanfiction like Fifty Shades of Grey that literally has the potential to put misinformed fans in physical danger; and causes MORE worldwide misogynistic bullying against female fans - on TOP of the worldwide, misogynistic bullying of Twilight Fans and HUMAN celebrities that has gone on for so long - uncool. It ALL needs to stop, now."

The difference between a book like Lolita and a book like FSoG is that Lolita is an accurate portrayal of abusive behavior. It is 'in your face' blatant and obvious. You can read the book or watch the movie - knowing that, your choice. Does it help proliferate abuse? Maybe.

But, this is the difference between 'normal' bad writing and 'professionally-negligent' bad writing:

FSoG deceives fans by portraying an obviously-abusive character that has been forced into a BDSM storyline (in order to make it seem like he isn't really being abusive) that includes one hardcore setting after another - scenes that didn't even need to actually be in the story in order to tell the story - using a serious problem that is already WAY TOO NORMALIZED in our world.

When women make a big, cultural stink – we don’t just make an obvious, offensive one that makes a few conservatives mad. We break all the safety rules and INSIST that it’s BRILLIANT in the face of valid, logical and overwhelming evidence and worldwide opposition.

Back to the main topic:

16. SinDelle profile image88
    SinDelleposted 8 years ago

This is an example of narcissistic obsession with a subject. People need to stop feeding into it. It only makes it worse. Every time a person defends or repeats a delusion, it entrenches it into their psyche more. It is a complete waste of time to try to discuss or rationalize with narcissism, delusion or obsession. It only gives the person a platform to keep repeating their delusions, exercising their obsessions and feeds their narcissism. Arguing with someone like that is doing exactly what they want.

17. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

For the love of God.... please stop. Enough is enough. I am sooooooo tired of this stupid thread constantly showing up in my feed whenever I log in. I've unfollowed it and yet it refuses to go away!!! Let this thread die already. (waves white flag)

Send a complaint to HP - I'd like to have this issue fixed, too. This forum topic isn't going away anytime soon since it is often on the front page of the site - because people keep responding to it. Expect it to continue, since I refuse to let it get turned into a protestor-bashing post.

I recommend figuring out how to ignore it. That's what I've basically been doing with all of mine that keep continuing - except this one for reasons I have previously stated, as you know. smile

One last thing (hopefully). I know that it looks like I don't have much support on this issue in here - thank you to the few who have at least been open to this idea. I do receive responses from this post, just like I do from the spotlight article and my blogs about this subject...

The normal type of feedback I receive is through email - because most people want to say things in private. Especially in a place like hubpages where you could be labeled as being 'anti-free speech' or whatever as I have. It isn't a reputation you want people to project onto you, and I don't blame them at all. I am happy to sit here and take hit after hit - I've been doing it for so long, that I already have responses for most everything - so, its easy. smile

However, almost all - in fact, ALL of the email responses (almost two dozen, maybe) that I have received from people who have read this post - apparently, not just people who write on hubpages - have been just a simple, "Thank you for writing that." A few elaborated a little as to why - but mostly, it just gives most people a relief to know that someone is staying on top of this issue and not letting it go. Yeah, it IS usually people who have previously been abused - bad us, huh?

Out of all of the responses I've received about this subject since I started writing about it (blogs, etc.) - one of the most specific things that frequently gets mentioned by survivors is my point about 'romantic rape' being a common way for abusers to initiate sexual violence. Its scary - people 'just turn' on you.

There is a great divide between 'survivors' about this issue - which is why many people don't want to talk out loud about it. Many FSoG fans are survivors and are just fine with the books; but many others are not - simply because of triggers that make us very afraid for all you happy-go-lucky kids who are so sure that you'll never have to worry about something like this.

I know this isn't going to matter to some of you - it's not like any reasoning or validation I've attempted to provide does a bit of good.

But, this is also how most (not all) Twilight Fans (of all ages, literally) start out writing me, too... Because they usually actually read what I have to say instead of assuming I'm just another anti-twilight monster. And, many of them still need help with their obsessions. You all have no idea how incredibly hard they can be to control. Because of the irresponsible way these books were written (and the movies were produced); these obsessions are not 'normal' Hollywood teenage obsessions - they're POTENT because they sort of sink into whatever cracks there may be in your personal psyche.

We 'sink into' these obsessions instead of 'going along for the ride' as one of my email TwiMoms put it. The world overestimates or underestimates these series - but, no one wants to tell the truth about them. Especially women.

18. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 8 years ago

First off, this thread is highly entertaining.  Not only for the over-usage of capital lettering, but for the hypocritical use of personal attacks.

I struggle with the underlying arguments of this Hub on many facets:

1.  The first is tying one case, the Chicago case specifically, to an increase in abuse against women.  The post originator here quotes all kinds of stats pertaining to abuse, but where is the evidence that Fifty Shades contributes to an increase.  One example to me is not proof of an overlying trend of escalation.  And hypothesizing that the recent case near Seattle is tied to the movie in any way is a stretch, at best.

And in some ways, there is an education in Fifty Shades of Grey as to how to have open dialogue between a dominant and submissive to create a healthy environment for both.  In the Chicago case, that dialogue did not exist.  The young college student gave up control completely.  No safe word, no discussion of hard limits.  These are all basics of role play and power dynamics among those with experience, something the movie clearly touched upon. 

From what the article described pertaining to the Chicago case, those conversations did not take place and possibly led to the judge being unable to discern whether the act truly fit into something criminal.  And while I personally see the abuse angle there, being able to prove it based upon the agreed upon role play and evidence would have been tricky.

2.   I'm also trying to discern if there is an acceptance that some people do use pain as a means to get to pleasure.  That some physical acts don't necessarily equate to abuse.  In the hub, there seems to be a statement pertaining to this, but the rest of the article goes against that principle.

3.  Just because two women left the project due to their creative differences and two men took over is hardly cause to suggest that this film would lead to violence against women.  The author had more sway than the director and screenwriter, that's not a reason to conclude they left because the movie endangers women, that according to the story linked in the hub.

I will, certainly, agree that no one should be spreading joking material or memes that promote or excuse abuse against women.  So if there was something pertaining to a specific scene in Fifty Shades that was clearly abuse and not foreplay, it should not be meme-ified.  But to lump the entirety of the film into a destructive role against women, that conclusion is quite a stretch and there really isn't much data to support it.

"I'm also trying to discern if there is an acceptance that some people do use pain as a means to get to pleasure." Most definitely there is a HUGE difference - and that is one of the main problems with Fifty Shades of Grey. It is supposed to be a book about the subject of BDSM; but it is accidentally about abuse because of EL James' ignorance about the subject - on top of her intense, irresponsible and accidental twilight over-obsession that caused her to think/write in this way. For instance, if Ms. Steele were enjoying the parts of the story where Mr. Grey is hurting her - THAT is 'appropriate' BDSM practice. Most fans of this series can't comprehend that. What do you MEAN - enjoy it?!! Why would she ever enjoy being hit? LoL!

What I'm saying is... relationships shouldn't start out that way. I know that Ana is written conveniently to 'not really be interested in Christian' - just like Bella wasn't supposed to have her knickers in a knot over Edward Cullen. There is absolutely no reason for Ana to be attracted to Mr. Grey - unless she was 'into his lifestyle' from the beginning. Which, she wasn't. It's all just a cover so that Erika could share her naughty sexual fantasies - one after another - about her infatuation with all the hardcore, kinky stuff that she had 'accidentally' going on in her mind with Bella Swan and Edward Cullen within twilight way back then...

1) Christian confesses to Ana that he is into this kind of lifestyle (that she is not into - BDSM is very 'mutual') because he was emotionally disturbed as a child. Later, Ana apparently ‘cures’ him by somehow saving his soul from the grasp of it’s own dark evil. That RARELY happens in real life (even with therapy); and in fact, some women are killed trying to save their sick Mr. Grey’s - and sometimes those guys die in the process of women defending themselves.

I really hate using this story as an example - really. But if it helps to clarify things at all, this story about a Seattle mom of 3 going on a date with someone she met online is a harsh reality. The reason why this sad story applies is because 1) it points out what I just said, above - although this lady didn't have time to 'try and change him'. You know someone did, including his parents and possibly even his ex-girlfriend; and 2) 'romantic rape' that Mr. Grey is so fond of using was probably involved. It is one of the main manipulative things used by sexual predators.

She had supposedly been 'dating' this guy for a month - she probably thought that going to a public place was a good idea in order to 'size him up'. He probably said and did 'all the right things' for a while. If it is this difficult for people to see abuse like this coming at them in real life; how much HARDER would it be - when you've been shown how 'beautiful' things can turn out? This is an update on that story: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new … ime-scene/

It is highly-unlikely that a dom and sub would have this kind of conversation due to the 'mutual' aspects of a BDSM relationship:

“So you are punishing me?” He swallows, then closes his eyes. He doesn’t have to answer, and I know that punishing me was his exact intention. “You have to stop doing this,” I murmur. His brow furrows. “For a start, you only end up feeling shittier about yourself.” He snorts. “That’s true,” he mutters. “I don’t like to see you like this.” “And I don’t like feeling like this."

There is plenty of data to support this stuff - the trouble is, people actually have to read it if they don't 'just already know' - like everything else. Here is that image again for those of you who keep insisting that what I have to say is incorrect.

If you (and so many others like you) can't see the harm in the related Chicago lawsuit regarding how Fifty Shades affected that situation - and possibly many others that we can't know about, then that is something your conscious can live peacefully with. More power to you. My mission continues.

“People are saying that this franchise does right by women because it was written and directed by women (no longer) and produced for women, but that only makes it worse,” she said. “That means that romanticized abuse is so internalized that it can be mass-marketed to women, and only demonstrates female-produced content as of lower quality, which isn’t the truth.” (Usually) Source

I am NOT 'anti-free speech'; and I AM a celebrator of the creative process - which is why I have said, I do not blame either amateur author OR the fans for what has happened. I AM on the side of fans whether anyone wants to believe that or not.

The difference between a book like Lolita and a book like FSoG is that Lolita is an accurate portrayal of abusive behavior. It is 'in your face' blatant and obvious. You can read the book or watch the movie - knowing that, your choice. Does it help proliferate abuse? Maybe.

But, FSoG deceives fans by portraying an obviously-abusive character that has been forced into a BDSM storyline (in order to make it seem like he isn't really being abusive) that includes one hardcore setting after another - scenes that didn't even need to actually be in the story in order to tell the story - using a serious problem that is already WAY TOO NORMALIZED in our world.

"I will, certainly, agree that no one should be spreading joking material or memes that promote or excuse abuse against women.  So if there was something pertaining to a specific scene in Fifty Shades that was clearly abuse and not foreplay, it should not be meme-ified."

I'm not talking about joking about abuse - I'm talking about informing niave fans in a harmless way that is relatively obvious to them. Humor can work wonders for things like that.

Now back to the beginning!! smile

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12969602.jpg

19. beckysue33 profile image58
    beckysue33posted 8 years ago

I did not particularly like the book Grey as it was too much for me. It was HORRIBLE. The movie is sorta boring to me. It suggests rape is okay. I was barely able to watch it!

The blog as opposed to the newsletter:
      http://50-shades-of-abuse.blogspot.com. … -than.html
      http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12984622_f1024.jpg

Another blog by a book reader that starts from the top with Twilight - but then goes on and on to quote from the books: INGREDIENTS FOR A PERFECTLY INSANE TWILIGHT CRAP BOOK https://rantofalifetime.wordpress.com/

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

skimmed it out of more morbid curiosity.  looks like you found your intellectual equal.  good for you, now we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

What is it with you and your belief that people who have real issues with these books are stupid or crazy or whatever? Really? Its a good question.

Why are we 'less-intelligent' than you for doing our homework, knowing the details about what's wrong with these books and wanting people to take these valid concerns seriously?

What is so 'bad' about wanting to protect young and/or niave fans (coming out of Twilight) from a misleading phenomenon that has been proven to accidentally-promote unnecessary violence, abuse and misogyny against them?

1. profile image0

why are you taking it as an insult? "intellectual equal" is a neutral term.  i did not say the blog's author was crazy or dumb.  you came up with that all on your own.

Don't play coy, it is obvious what you meant by this - especially with your past references to 'my head': "skimmed it out of more morbid curiosity.  looks like you found your intellectual equal"

It was a simple question. You have no intelligent response to go along with it?

1. profile image0

lol this is a gift that keeps on giving

You have yet to actually answer this question, and I have asked it before - ALL of you:

What is it with you and your belief that people who have real issues with these books are stupid or crazy or whatever? Really? Its a good question.

Why are we 'less-intelligent' than you for doing our homework, knowing the details about what's wrong with these books and wanting people to take these valid concerns seriously?

What is so 'bad' about wanting to protect young and/or niave fans (coming out of Twilight) from a misleading phenomenon that has been proven to accidentally-promote unnecessary violence, abuse and misogyny against them?

Back to the beginning to we don't lose track of the goal. This is the hate-hype changing idea that also has the potential to keep niave FSoG fans safer:

Fans spread the message about the abuse in Fifty Shades and pass it around. This could be done in a concerted, humorous way (even using various memes). Its just information as ‘harmless’ as these books & movies - that also happens to have the potential to help protect niave fans and STOP the misogyinistic bullying across the globe (and possibly bring good publicity into the mix).

There are lots of articles on the subject - it shouldn't be too hard to find the things that need to be said and heard. I have an example in my spotlight article and I've got other links collected in here.

If fans were to take this issue seriously, the entire world would breathe a sigh of relief and drop it.

Here are some examples:

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12986602.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12986603.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12986604.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12986605.jpg

3. Misfit Chick profile image76

It turns out that there are many memes and a bunch of other stuff already out there. Silly me, I just wrote about the subject from what *I* knew about it. I love validation. smile

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12987322.png

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12987323.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12987326_f1024.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12987329.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12987330.jpg

4. Misfit Chick profile image76

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12987719.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12987720_f1024.jpg

5. profile image0

i'm happy you found some intellectual equals to share your pictures with.  the situation can best be summed up as

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12987865.png

20. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

This thing was dead for a week and you resurrected it.  So much for wanting it to stop, eh?

Good point. I keep crossing things that keep the importance of this issue in the limelight - such as, someone having this statement on their twitter profile: "Fifty Shades is... telling survivors that what happened to us is really just "romance".

This statement is the reason why so many survivors are very angry about the way these books were written. (Triggers, and lots of them - yippee!!!)

What I would like to have happen is a decent conversation about this subject that doesn't accuse anyone of being anti-free speech or anti-creativity (or variations of crazy!!!) - from people who are willing to go beyond the crowd-following repetitions that seem completely unconcerned about the affects these books have had across the globe. (Including the unecessary emotional affects they have 'accidentally' had on many abuse survivors - that no one seems to give a crap about.)

There is a reason why marketing is such big business - because people's minds are EASILY manipulated. And, as much as everyone would like to believe that they are somehow unaffected by it - and so is everyone else... Marketing money from everywhere continues to pour in. It is one of the most profitable and competitive specialized businesses on the planet whose SOLE PURPOSE is to manipulate people's minds for whatever reason.

To insist that books have absolutely no similar affect to 'inspire' - at all - is ludicrous. There are more 'real reasons' to be concerned about the abuse hidden within these books - see links below.

Misleading arguements that insist Fifty Shades of Grey fans are fine are moot - because you don't know that. You're just hoping and ignoring the HUGE liklihood in a world where so many ugly & similar things ARE true.

PDF Pamplet: http://50shadesisdomesticabuse.webs.com … eaflet.pdf

http://50shadesisdomesticabuse.webs.com/

http://50-shades-of-abuse.blogspot.com. … -than.html

https://rantofalifetime.wordpress.com/

Here's a couple more really interesting links:

"researchers think that the hypnotic state/trance is a hyper-attentive state of mind. Imagine being engrossed in a good book or a movie, intently focusing on the content and ignoring or blocking out everything else happening around you. Hypnosis is something similar to looking at the world from a keyhole, and that narrow perspective is the voice of the hypnotist [author]."

https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/what- … tized.html

http://www.happyhypnotherapy.com.au/how-hypnosis-works/

Old and long, indepth article mostly about TV: http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-a … x?PageId=2

The difference between a book like Lolita and a book like FSoG is that Lolita is an accurate portrayal of abusive behavior. It is 'in your face' blatant and obvious. You can read the book or watch the movie - knowing that, your choice.

FSoG deceives fans by portraying an obviously-abusive character that has been forced into a BDSM storyline (in order to make it seem like he isn't really being abusive) that includes one hardcore setting after another - scenes that didn't even need to actually be in the story in order to tell the story - using a serious problem that is already WAY TOO NORMALIZED in our world.

So... What is there to be concerned about these books? Do these things begin to answer that question at all, yet? This kind of 'deception' is NOT creative - it is irresponsible and professionally-negligent.

21. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 8 years ago

Havent seen it.or read it. Even if Just tv it seems wrong to me to perpetuate women as objects to abuse.  It has to have some psychological effects. But to get collective sympathy and raucous indignation you will need more.  Masochism or rape Wont be enough. Has the villain ever ate at  chick fi la, refused to bake a cake or paid an undocumented less than minimum wage?

They will come when hype starts ramping up for these movies to come out. If Fifty Shades production company was smart - they would just send both of these movies straight to video. (Most people would appreciate them better not in a crowd anyway, ha!)

These images I have been posting are not new; and there are so many more I could grab... I was sincerely (despite what anyone thinks) hoping to diminish the coming waves of misogyny and hater-hype; but that is apparently not an option. Oh well. That doesn't mean I'll stop - why should I, when I've got all this stuff done? Curious people can inform themselves, or not. The hard part for me is over. smile

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12988670.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12988671.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12988672.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12988673_f1024.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12988674.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12988700.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12988701.jpg

22. AnnaDanishek profile image61
    AnnaDanishekposted 8 years ago

The internet is obviously full of both information and danger - and the possibility of connections. It is like a whole nother world where anything either good or bad can happen - just like our 'real' world. No, I would not keep kids from the internet - this is their world and many of them need to learn how to navigate it, just like life!

I totally agree. People who simply keep their kids off the net in this day and age in order to protect them are not giving them the opportunity to realize this very real part of our world, no matter how twisted it gets. It is like a whole nother aspect to life that everyone has had to adjust to; and the internet is part of a child's world - at least, it is likely to become a part of it when they grow up.

The concerns about Fifty Shades of Grey go far beyond the internet. If people would STAY on the net and never try to reach into real life for the things they dream about - things would be different. This is where 'harmless information' can be at least a semi-protection for less-informed fans.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)