jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What is your favorite literary quotation?

1. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 8 years ago

What is your favorite literary quotation?

2. dashwood profile image54
    dashwoodposted 8 years ago

This one is from 'Hospital Barge At Ceresy' by Wilfred Owen

"And that long lamentation made him wise
    How unto Avalon, in agony, Kings passed in the dark barge, which Merlin dreamed"

Best wishes
    Wendy

3. Vizey profile image51
    Vizeyposted 8 years ago

I don't know but I Use " Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones on others".

4. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 8 years ago

My personal favorite affirms skepticism, faith, and imagination all at once. From "The Silver Chair" by CS Lewis:

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things- trees and grass and sun and moon and even Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only real world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And it's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world that licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.... Not that our lives will be very long, but that's small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say."

5. profile image45
    The Great WTFposted 8 years ago

My favorite came from Gryphons, and online novel written by Alyx J. Shaw:

“Dahli, in life you are either the leaf or the wind. If you are a leaf then you go where the wind takes you, unthinking, affecting little, just blowing through the lives of others. If you are the wind, then you determine the destiny for others. You can affect where they end up in life, and to many people that is frightening. You both live on the same planet but in completely different worlds. Diza wants to be a leaf. You have chosen to be the wind. You have chosen to create changes. She fears where you may carry her.”

6. EdG. profile image61
    EdG.posted 8 years ago

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."

- Hocus Pocus, Kurt Vonnegut

7. nikki1 profile image58
    nikki1posted 8 years ago

Heres one for ya.. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". big_smile Gotta love it..

8. H P Roychoudhury profile image46
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 8 years ago

Newton wrote:
    “I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me”.
    A great man always thinks great. His vision of knowledge is beyond perception.

9. profile image0
    onadateposted 8 years ago

"Happiness is what you do...not what you get." unknown
    Good question.

10. EllenGraeger profile image59
    EllenGraegerposted 8 years ago

"Half a dozen of things can make an 80% of the difference." (Jim Rohn)

11. ernold mystery profile image77
    ernold mysteryposted 8 years ago

"Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are, and what they ought to be."

The criminally under-read William Hazlitt

12. Real Estate Lady profile image59
    Real Estate Ladyposted 8 years ago

"The horror! The horror!"
    Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

13. Dark knight rides profile image72
    Dark knight ridesposted 8 years ago

"Yes, bugger all that." said Nanny. "Let's curse somebody."
    Terry Pratchett

14. profile image48
    nourhanposted 8 years ago

"to  die to sleep nomore" william shakespeare