jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

When we say forgive and forget, do you suppose it means to forget literary?

1. donnaisabella profile image80
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

When we say forgive and forget, do you suppose it means to forget literary?

2. Virtual Treasures profile image58
    Virtual Treasuresposted 6 years ago

I do not.  If we have to discuss what we are going to do with something, I don't think we ever forget.  I think it is more of a euphemism for putting something aside and/or letting go.  You may never forget, which will help you react to similar future situations, but it doesn't have to eat away at you, either.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I assume you mean literally? I think most people can forgive but definitely not forget.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image96
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

That's a really, really good question. I certainly don't have the ability to forget certain things happened. I wonder if, as virtual treasures suggests, the way to apply it is to forget (or let go) of the pain and move forward. Forget that it happened? I'm not sure who could do that.

5. donnaisabella profile image80
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

Thanks Uninvited for the correction; it should have read literally.

6. aguasilver profile image79
    aguasilverposted 6 years ago

I think it's less that we forget, more that we choose not to remember.

Most harm done us is carried out in ignorance, i.e. the perpetrator either does not realise the damage caused or is too thick to understand or care.

Those people need our understanding, we may not like it, but we are required to forgive if we expect to be forgiven.

Once you accept that people can be morons and cause you grief, it becomes possible to choose not to remember their actions.

So no we are not equipped to forget things totally, there will always be something that may trigger the memory, but allowing that memory to cause bitterness will only harm us.

7. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

It is not an easy thing to do for us humans-not remembering or forgetting is what God is asking of us. God himself says I will remember your sins no more.

http://jameslau88.com/i_will_remember_t … _more.html