jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is the romance novel genre still alive & well?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image81
    Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago

Is the romance novel genre still alive & well?

2. flounderingsahm profile image73
    flounderingsahmposted 7 years ago

I think it is, especially the subgenres like paranormal romances.

3. Arthur Windermere profile image82
    Arthur Windermereposted 7 years ago

I'm afraid so, Ken. It's made an unholy alliance with vampire novels and carries on that way. So flounderingsahm is correct. My mom reads them. She tells me it's an improvement over what romance novels used to be (esp. Harlequin).

4. mikicagle profile image91
    mikicagleposted 7 years ago

absolutely, i love a good historical romance

5. spiritual_mom profile image55
    spiritual_momposted 7 years ago

The true romance has evolved from the Harlequin Novels that we had when we were young.  The "Fabio" romance is far gone.  Today, the romance novel involves hard working woman and sensitive men.  The cultural and social evolving into the reality of true romance, and the complex reality of work and love.

I think! 

6. Jaggedfrost profile image79
    Jaggedfrostposted 7 years ago

I keep checking book stores and super markets and that genre keeps cycling in new books.  Breaking the ice and getting yourself published in that genre might prove tough with as jaded  publishers in that market have become to the way most romances start.

7. Nayberry profile image55
    Nayberryposted 7 years ago

Yes.  I think so, but I believe that the true spirit of romance is lost in many of the novels written today.  It is replaced with a lot of eroticism.  That is not romance.  I feel that true romance focuses on the emtional and spiritual connections between the hero and the heroine.  There are still a few of those out there.

8. profile image0
    ddiamondposted 7 years ago

Absolutely! I'm a member of Romance Writers of America (RWA) and recently signed a publishing contract to have my first book published. According to the RWA, romance fiction has the largest share of the fiction market. In 2008 romance fiction generated $1.37 billion in sales, which was 13.5% of the market.