jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How much steam do you like in a romance novel?

1. july18 profile image61
    july18posted 7 years ago

How much steam do you like in a romance novel?

2. WebDesignDoctor profile image57
    WebDesignDoctorposted 7 years ago

Hmmm... I don't really read romance novels but I would imagine I would want it to be pretty detailed

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I suppose it depends on whether or not you characters take a lot of Turkish baths.

4. Tirzah Laughs profile image81
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

Depends on what I'm in the mood for, I like both clean and steamy.  Character development is more important.

But I do have a few things I don't want such as 'anal'.  It's jsut not sexy.

Most books have lots of lead up and flirty stuff which I like more than the sex in the book.  Most sexy book only have two or three actual full intercourse scenes.

I don't want the words 'pu**y' or cum when I read a romance. I don't mind the acts, just not those two words.  Romance is about the fantasy and to me that's not sexy.  Maybe someone finds it sexy.  Not me. 

I don't mind a little kink.  I don't mind a little down and dirty.

I don't want random sex in the book but sex with the people who are involved.

Sex between people who are into each other is sexy.  Sex with strangers is just sad.

But that's me.

5. kirutaye profile image75
    kirutayeposted 7 years ago

Tirzah took the words right out of my mouth. I like steamy but tasteful.

6. kirsteno profile image58
    kirstenoposted 6 years ago

I like tasteful steam.  Nothing over the top.  I enjoy the build up of the characters.  I agree that I don't like anal.  I really don't much like reading about oral either.  That's too much for me.  Sometimes I like to read books with absolutely no steam.  I guess I'm mixed on this one!

7. maryellenquigley profile image80
    maryellenquigleyposted 6 years ago

It depends on the way the story is written. I enjoy reading all levers of steam. However, if the story is all sex, and no storyline, it annoys me.

The one thing I hate is dirty talk. It ruins the whole moment for me.

8. JP Silva profile image84
    JP Silvaposted 4 months ago

I have written some very steamy material that is honest and true between lovers in love. God given between man and woman. But the mechanics of sex in the bond of lovers is in fact the same as experienced by those experiencing sex for sex reasons alone. So, in my writings I have ignored traditional boundaries, and expressed vividly and exactly the sex between true lovers, thus pushing the edge of imagination beyond the implied or suggested experiences of sex for sex sake.

working