jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is slang really that hard to understand?

1. kemaya09 profile image55
    kemaya09posted 7 years ago

Is slang really that hard to understand?

Slang

2. Diane Inside profile image80
    Diane Insideposted 7 years ago

For some yes. I mean slang is really hard for me a southern girl if the slang is from the streets of New York.  But we have our own slang down south so I think is just a regional thing. Maybe I'm way of base, here that's just my opinion.

3. angela_michelle profile image97
    angela_michelleposted 7 years ago

Not usually, but it can make someone sound unintelligent, dependent on what slang they use.

4. jennshealthstore profile image89
    jennshealthstoreposted 7 years ago

I actually just wrote a hub about accents and speaking http://hubpages.com/hub/I-dont-have-an-accent-You-do.

Where you live will more than likely determine how you will speak. We get accustomed to hearing sounds from those around us therefore in one community people might speak differently than those in another community. What it boils down to is that what we hear is how we speak, so yes for some people it might be hard to understand slang.

5. anisetta profile image52
    anisettaposted 7 years ago

It has always being difficult for me to understand slang.  I find myself often asking what the word means, so often that my husband told me to buy a slang dictionary.

But, one step at the time, I am adding new words to my vocabulary and trying to remember the slang I learn every day. It is not easy since I never really use it.

6. profile image51
    Tyrikaposted 7 years ago

I personally don't think it is, but some people think it is because the don't use it as often as an average teenager you know what i mean, but is also really important if it's an emergency that the person you are telling besides the police can understand what you are telling them smile

working