Is the bible hard for you to understand?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image49
    Chosenwomanposted 12 years ago

When you read the bible what do you find to be hard for you to understand? I believe what most of us struggle with when reading God's word is how to apply it to our lives. I know for me when I first accepted Jesus into my life I had such a hard time understanding the bible and how it relates to me. I had to get a study bible to help me and still I struggled, but then one day I just made up my mind that I am going to have to get an understanding of His word. And so I began reading in Proverbs and asking the Lord to help me. It was a long process but it was worth it.

Would you share with me and others who happen to read this what was hard for you or what is probably still hard for you to understand about the bible?

1. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think of it as a journey. I don't think we are meant to understand the bible. I think our understanding is meant to grow the more we study, ponder, and apply it in our lives. As for the ultimate truth it represents, I don't think any of us will get there in our lives.

1. profile image49
        Chosenwomanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

it is a journey and as we grow we are able to get understanding of God's word..

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is true that those who boast about the bible are the ones who misunderstand it the most.....For it is the primary tool by which sin rules over them with an iron fist....

1. profile image49

I wish I knew the answer to that one my friend but as you mentioned allot of people do boast about knowing the word and I really doubt that many of us really know the word completely from front to back...In our journey with the Lord we grow daily at least we are too I know some don't but we learn as we go on this journey

2. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Didn't Jesus even say something like that?

3. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not difficult to understand Bible; after reading it I have realized it is hardly authored by the Creator God. If you doubt my words; then we start from Genesis; who wrote Genesis?

The biggest misunderstanding among Bible scholars today, is that Moses wrote the book of Genesis. If we look at the entire Bible, you will notice that all of it has been written by eyewitness accounts. Many assume that the book of Genesis was made up of oral traditions. Just a bunch of stories passed on from one generation to the next, or that Moses borrowed from the pagans, the stories of Noah, and creation, and then wrote his own version in the Hebrew Bible. Is the Hebrew Bible a borrowed version of the pagan versions of the flood and creation, or is it the other way around? Is the book of Genesis the ORIGINAL DOCUMENT, and as time when on, and the populations grew, and as man moved away from the center knowledge, the creation accounts got all corrupted, hence we have the pagan accounts of creation from the Babylonians, etc.. and the original document was the book of Genesis?

http://www.british-israel.ca/Genesis.htm

4. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know I am going to get eaten alive for this, but I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God.  You can't understand everything at first, but you will keep learning as you read it.

1. profile image49

that is right barbarea you can't understand all of it at once and it is the inspired word of Our Lord and Savior

2. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

I find the nature of God as described in the Bible hard to understand.  Sometimes he is portrayed as a loving father, caring for his creation, but also as an angry god, ready to destroy mankind, often in the most violent ways.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

I tend to read it for the intellectual interest rather than thinking about how to apply it to my everyday life. Im pretty much the same person I was 27 years ago when I first started reading it, but my understanding of God, and the purpose of life has very much changed.

The hardest part for me is the need to deprogramme myself from Church tradition when trying to understand it.

1. profile image49

When we read God's word we are to apply His words to our life...if we don't then how can one truly live this life?

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What would you say to those who did not have a bible? Christ's teachings and Paul's letters make up the bulk of 'life's instructions', yet the 1st century Church did not have them to start with.

To answer your question I just get on with my life according to good conscience, and I do truely live. I can do this without having to formally read the bible and make a concious effort to apply it, because the Father has promised us that His spirit would dwell within us.

4. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

While some of the bible is written in parables and examples, most of it is straight forward.  The problem usually comes when one decides that what the bible says isn't what it means.

As an example, if you try to reconcile the cruel, childish, and completely amoral creature that the old testament proclaims as God with what we wish and expect Him to be today you are doomed to failure.  He was what He was and trying to change the words of the old testament to something they aren't can only lead to failure and disbelief.

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

When I read all of that stuff,,,  about God "Taking them out" ..
    Killing all them people that wasn't acting right So-to-speak;

I compare this to a school teacher.

Picture God as the school teacher?
          The teacher sends everyone out into the playground, running, jumping and just A swinging and  see-sawing  away
          When the teacher sees a bully, picking on one of the other children,
    The teacher just snatches the bully up, and brings him back into the class room.  Puts him in the corner till he says he is sorry and won't do it any more.
         THEN he gets to come out from the corner and does whatever he does next. ???
    He might have to go back home to wherever "Heaven" Is?  Don't get to play in the yard for quite some time.

And actually!  Those of us that played in the playground 55 years ago;
    Remember what was going on, on the play ground way back then. And there was almost always somebody A watching.  It is a different playground in a different reality  Here in 2011!

At some time in the late 60s or 70s ,,,  They passed a law against the teacher ; such that ,  after 10 minutes the teacher HAS to! ...  let the bully go back and play in the playground with the rest of the children..

1. profile image0
      Wilfionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully though, the school teacher will not stone the bully to death for being naughty.  This would be taking it a little too far.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And would no doubt would lead to a PTA rebellion.

2. Jerami profile image59

But No one can leave the playground taking with them, all of that which they had.

6. seamist profile image62
    seamistposted 12 years ago

I find it most difficult to understand the imagery in the prophecies in Daniel and Revelations. I want to believe the bible is the inspired word of God, but it is, why is some of so hard to understand without having a thorough knowledge of the whole bible. For instance, if God wants us to understand the bible, I believe a common person who knows how to read should be able to read any part of the bible with understanding.

1. Jerami profile image59

I agree with you completely ...  and the bible is that simple that everyone CAN understand it; especially the prophesy.

It is when people start changing the meanings of prophesy to conform to their own ideology that it becomes confusing.

The book of Daniel explains itself.  Gabriel interprets many of these visions to Daniel.  It means what Gabriel said that it means. Nothing more or less!  These messages were not intended to be a mystery as most preachers would like for us to believe.
        We are not supposed to interpret the interpretation! 
        When we do;  … total confusion follows.

2nd Peter 1:20;    “Knowing this first, that no prophesy of the scripture is of ANY private interpretation”.

All of these visions in Daniel are about the coming into power of the "FIRST FOUR kingdoms" to be given dominion over Gods Chosen people ; beginning with Babylon, then Persia, then Greece , and finally the Roman Empire,
         The fourth beast is described as having ten horns (horns representing ten kings)  In the vision, after the ten, there will be a king rising to power after the ten which replaces three kings.
      This is saying that there will be 14 kings of the fourth kingdom that is given dominion over that Hebrew Nation.
         The 14th emperor of Rome was in power when that Hebrew Nation ceased to exist.
         It is at the time of his death that Michael stands up for the Children of Daniels people (Daniel 11:45 thru 12:1.
      It really is that simple.  read what it says and don’t believe what we are told that it says.
      Again, …  it really is that simple.

I agree with you completely ...  and the bible is that simple that everyonc CAN understand it. Especialy the prophesy.

Ir is when people start changing the meanings of prophesy to conform to their own ideology.

The book of Daniel explains itself.  Gabriel interprets many of these visions to Daniel.  It means what Gabriel said that it means.
        We are not suposed to interpret the interpretation! 
        When we do; total confusion follows.

2nd Peter 1:20; Knowing this first, that no prophesy of the scripture is of ANY private interpretation.

All of these visions in Daniel are about the coming into power of the "FIRST FOUR kingdoms" beginning with Babylon, then Persia, then Grecia, and finally the Toman Empire, to be given dominion over Gods Chosen people ;That Hebrew Nation that existed back then.

When we over intelectualize a simple message, simple understanding is lost.

When we apply Gabriels interpretation of these symbols used in Daniel, to these same symbols used in Revelation, the meanings of the message become clear.

2. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That should be a quality of a good book; I agree with you; particularly if it is for guidance of all human beings.

Jesus never intended that Word revealed on him from the Creator God was for the whole mankind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)