jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can you earn more through writing? Where are the higher-paying writing jobs?

1. coeline profile image61
    coelineposted 7 years ago

How can you earn more through writing? Where are the higher-paying writing jobs? I've tried...

Odesk, Elance, and even posted ads at Craigslist. Since I'm from a developing country, clients know that rates here are a bit lower compared to 1st world countries. But I believe that there should be equal treatment on that part.

2. wordsscriber profile image59
    wordsscriberposted 7 years ago

Check out some of the hubs on earning money through writing.  You could freelance and write for others.  Here are some sites that will pay you to write Triond and Xomba

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Being from a developing country, you certainly do have an added challenge in the freelance world because so many buyers are looking for "US or UK only" or similar requirements. These buyers generally overlook the fact that there could be native English speakers from just about any country, and in many it's the primary language in schools and business. However, this isn't an insurmountable obstacle. The more you can sell yourself through your proposals and portfolio and prove that you're a good choice for a project, the more the quality clients are likely to hire you. Currently I make my entire full-time wage off of Elance, with a little supplementation from Hubpages, Helium, Associated Content and Epinions; basically being a US native English speaker was the only thing I had to recommend me when I started. I've never been to college, I had no references and no feedback to start with, and I did have to start out making peanuts...but within about six months I had more work than I could handle at a rate I liked, and it's gone up since then. I have now been a full-time freelancer for three years (less one month), so it really can be worth it if you stick to it and don't mind running into a few brick walls before you achieve anything.

4. coeline profile image61
    coelineposted 7 years ago

@wychic: that's really inspiring! Yes, that's the spirit... Right now, I am into a partnership with a client who is running an online writing services firm. From there, I think I can start building the business's portfolio and gain more clients and hire excellent writers too.

thanks so much for the inspiration!