jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

is "worser" a word? I don't think I should trust the information on this site, i

1. profile image44
    dougbuttposted 7 years ago

is "worser" a word? I don't think I should trust the information on this site, it seems that the...

person who wrote this had too many drugs in their system.

2. Richard Craig profile image76
    Richard Craigposted 7 years ago

It is actually a word.  Check for yourself at Dictionary.com

3. Brupie profile image69
    Brupieposted 7 years ago

"Worse" is the comparative form of bad or ill.  Adding the suffix "r" to form a comparative is redundant, like adding an extra "s" to the word "mice" to make a plural. 

If Dictionary.com lists worser as a word, I'd make a point of getting my information from sources other than Dictionary.com.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image85
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

No, it is not a proper word. The whole article is chock full of mistakes and misspellings. I certainly would take anything in it seriously. Don't give up on the whole site, there are good writers here.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

"Worser" is not an accepted word in the English Language. . . but guess what?  Those "rules" about language are useless, or pointless-if communication is the goal, and you've succeeded with jibberish, "worser or more better."

6. Aficionada profile image87
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Believe it or not, it is not just dictionary.com that lists "worser" as a legitimate word. One of my hard-copy dictionaries (Random House, c1968) lists it as a dialect word, used as an adjective or an adverb, meaning "worse."

I would not have guessed it, and I only checked it out of curiosity after seeing this question.

This does not make it acceptable in good, standard English. But it is actually a real word in some dialect or other of English. I don't know which one it would be.